How Do "Normal People's" Clothes Fit?

Options
Here's an interesting question we've been discussing at work. (Several of us are on weight-loss journeys.)

For people who've not been fighting weight all their lives, how do their clothes fit? I mean, most of us here have probably had "goal" -sized clothes, and "fat" -sized clothes in our closets because we've yo-yo'd back and forth. Now that I've dropped 35, I'm having to consider getting new pants because most of my old ones are too big. I've got the belt ratcheted tight and the waistband bunched up to keep them from falling down below my hips. I've been living with that as long as I can because I know I still have weight to lose, but it's getting ridiculous. So when I buy new pants, do I buy them a bit tight for room to lose, or buy them to fit me now? I realized that I'm not exactly sure how pants should fit when they "fit right."

That got me thinking about people whose weight doesn't fluctuate. What do they do? How tight should pants actually be if they fit properly? I guess this is more for the men because women have those lovely hips to keep pants up, but we don't.

Replies

• Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    you can get your clothes tailored and its cheaper than buying clothes all the time. good work and keep it up :)
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well, thats kind of depends on the person. I dont really like tight fitting jeans. I could fit into a size 4 jeans if i wanted to right now... but if i sat down it wouldnt be the most comfortable and i wouldnt want to eat the whole day. Where as if i just wore a size 6 jeans then i could be comfortable all day long regardless of if i ate. So like i said.. it depends on the persons taste. I see girls wear jeans that look like its cutting off their circulation.. and then i see girls who wear sweats all the time... so its a matter of preference.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I can't say my weight hasn't changed, but what I did when it didn't change as much was wear what was snug enough to not fall off of my hips, but loose enough that I didn't have to lay down or "suck it in" to get them zipped and buttoned.

As for what I generally buy - I usually go with what fits me now, and what's a little snug. This gives me stuff that I can wear comfortably now, while giving me something to see as the weight continues to come off.
  • magdamccraven
    magdamccraven Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I just polled my husband and son who have always worn the same size since adulthood and are both thin. The said to but them a little loose to allow for shrinkage. Otherwise, just wear whatever feels comfortable and will stay up with or without a belt.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    My last pair of jeans fit right for about a day before I realized I need to go down another size. :laugh:

I remember how clothes fit when I was thin and it was similar to now. Pants are always tight in the thighs but loose in the waist. But at least now they make pants that more properly fit curves (not a euphemism for fat...actual hourglass curves) so that's a nice development!

I noticed the biggest difference in my jeans when my tummy stopped protruding over my belt. Now that nothing is forcing my pants downward and my badonk is holding them up, it's allll gravy!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with similar questions.

As I get closer to goal, I've decided that, when I sit down at my desk at work, I should not notice anything hanging over my belt line. If "something" is (the gut), then I am wearing pants that are still too tight or need to adjust my belt out a hole.

That being said, and to your question, when I finally buy a new pair of pants, it's usually geared toward my goal size. It provides me a little motivation, as I do NOT like sitting for 8 hours a day with Dunlap's.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've been buying them snug-ish. When I lost weight I bought only a few, tried to get them on clearance or resale, and I wanted them a little lose to be comfortable. But go against that feeling of a "little lose so it can shrink!" Because at least 3 times this year I had to get more pants after I got skinnier ones. So go against that thought that they might shrink, or whatever, and get them snugish. Plan on them being your big pants later!

My husband hit goal and we had to try on several styles on him to see what worked. He kept going for the hips that were too big and I found a stack called "slim cut" that looked best on him. They weren't tight. He could still put his oversize wallet in the pocket. But there was no extra fabric around the hips as if he might suddenly grow women hips. No big sack of air filled butt cloth to grab.

I hit goal and I'm still trying to find out what my new style is. I had that "mom clothes" thing going. I'm watching everyone when I go out to see what they are wearing, and whats "right" in situations like work or the mall. What looks real bad on older people, and trying to go for the universal "everyone can wear it" stuff.

Good question! What are the normal people wearing! We'll have to relearn that! Get rid of those old clothes! No more fat and skinny clothes in the closet! Just your "new" self stuff! Things that look good on you. Not just the first thing you find that actually fits.
  • Karen_145
    Options
    Go with what's comfortable. It's funny, when I was a teenager it never even occurred to me to buy clothes that fit properly. It was far more important to squeeze into the smallest possible size, no matter how much flab protruded or how uncomfortable I was. Sheesh. Now I always buy stuff that fits comfortably. Keep in mind that some fabrics will shrink so you may want it to be a tad roomier when you try it on in store.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    Wear clothes that fit you like a rock star. Embrace Goodwill. :happy:
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    buy what fits you now. and buy more when you lose more weight.
  • mmoonstars
    mmoonstars Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I try and get rid of stuff that doesn't fit as soon as I can afford to buy new stuff. I tend to buy my replacements on clearance or at goodwill type stores (it's handy I live in Portland OR and that's almost a style unto itself). I find that buying something that fits means I get to show off my progress to myself and others and see the changes in my body better. I also use it as motivation to never go back up to that size, because I'm on a budget and can't afford to be rebuying clothes. Hope that helps :)
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I personally like to have the best of both worlds available... currently I do not. :|
    But I like to have at least one pair of tighter jeans that show off my figure, not too tight mind you. lol. And at least one pair of comfortable jeans that are a little loose. Unless I'm going out somewhere though, I typically just wear sweats. XD Those are awesome, comfy, and adjustable as long as there's a drawstring. <3
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can add is that despite what appears to be acceptable practice in today's society, muffin top does not equal properly fit jeans....period. I wish more people would forgo trying to wear a certain style and size and instead wear what suits their body. Low rise and skinny jeans aren't for everyone.
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Great thoughts from one who knows! I'll keep all of this in mind as my shrinking continues :)
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    For the 1st part of your question: Buy clothing to fit you now and carry you through your next few months of weight loss. Treat them kindly and donate/consign them or have them tailored if you're not going to be far from your goal weight. For women it's easier, I think. We can wear dresses and belt them, roll the sleeves, buy pants in a more forgiving material. I started MFP squeezing into my size Mediums, and now, 18lb later, I'm still in mediums but they're much looser on me, and don't cling to every lump and bump I have underneath. Which leads in to the 2nd part of your question.

If you have a muffin top - the pants don't fit. If you have to keep pulling your clothes into place ("stretch" pants up, shirts down, fitted skirts down, etc.) they're too small. If you're swimming in your stuff, it's too big.

Some people either think they're smaller than they are and try to go a size or two too small. And some people think they're bigger than they are and want to hide behind their clothing. Clothing that is your true size should not make you look bad. If you can really get into it, get a few things made to fit you at your goal weight (suit jackets, namely, for men. pants and skirts at proper and flattering lengths, suit jackets for women). I have a few pieces I paid extra for because they make me look fabulous.