Burn It Off And Keep It Off: The 7 Biggest Weight Relapse Mi

Options
2»

Replies

• JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    very interesting! i'm a little scared of maintenance (when i get there) but i think this is helpful
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Good read
  • andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Great article!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Great stuff.

I've always liked Tom Venuto's advice.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It describes so exactly what's happened to those people I know who have regained a lot. I'm lucky to only be prey to the emotional eating myself...
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Sounds a lot like common sense BUMP.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    No wonder I've never maintained a healthy weight. I've been guilty of every single one of those!
  • kser145
    kser145 Posts: 40
    Options
    bump
  • poppy191
    poppy191 Posts: 10
    Options
    that fantastic advice and speaks to be particularly as I have relapsed so many times and am desperate not to do it again. Id rather lose weight slowly and make long term changes than go back to the 'all or nothing' mentality!
  • ccbennett2000
    ccbennett2000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • bethmillerwilson
    bethmillerwilson Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks you! I have a tendency toward a number of these relapse flaws in thinking. I can now move forward realizing that I can think myself past a couple of these trains of thought. I will need to reread this every once in a while to remember how not to allow my train of thought to derail me.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options

Relapse mistake #6: Perpetual dissatisfaction with body weight and shape.

Relapsers express great dissatisfaction with their new body weight and body shape, even when they’ve made huge strides in progress. They tend to make comparisons of themselves to others and when taken to an extreme, this turns into perfectionism where no achievement ever seems good enough. Relapsers also tend to make judgments about themselves as a person based on strictly on their physical attributes. The pursuit of constant improvement is clearly a virtue. Some of the healthiest and fittest people in the world credit their success to never becoming complacent and always striving for better results. This seems to be in conflict with body dissatisfaction as a cause of relapse. We can reconcile this paradox by understanding that you can strive for continuous improvement while also liking yourself at every step along the way — it’s not one or the other.
    It’s also important to get very clear about how far you want to take your physical development and how much time and effort you’re willing to invest. Not everyone wants or needs the washboard abs of a Men’s Health cover model or the body shape of a figure model. Use 80-20 thinking here. Suppose you can get 80% of the way to what you consider your physical ideal with a fairly modest investment of time and effort. To capture the next 15% takes more time and serious hard work, and the final 5% takes a monumental full time effort. How far to you want to go and how much are you willing to pay?

This is me. I'll admit it. And I do believe a lot of us struggle with this. I'm finding now that I have to find a balance between what I wish my body was and what I want my lifestyle to be. I don't want to fear going to DQ or Taco Bell. If we are having a BBQ, I don't want to obsess for days beforehand about keeping my calories low and days after about how "bad" I was that day. When I finally decided that I was okay with not being stick thin, not being super ripped, and not having the perfect body in exchange for still enjoying wine a couple times a week, the goals relaxed. Healthy BMI = happiness. I'm there. I'm not going to quit biking or building strength any time soon - just like I'm not going to skip a dirty greasy burger date night at the bar with my husband. And THAT is something I can be happy with.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    thank you, will read this again when I have an off day
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    bump so I can read fully later! thanks for posting it!
  • Luckybarc
    Luckybarc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!