Exercising at home with kids

Options
I just found that on my "On Demand" exercise TV channel on my cable has kids exercise programs...this morning I did a Family Walk with Leslie Sansone....it was a 2 mile walk with weights and an excellent burn and my 2 year old loved participating and watching it!

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    That's good that your kids are into it. Makes things a bit easier on you when you feel the need to exercise.
  • DGomez22
    Options
    Because of On Demand I bought like 3 of her DVDs and they have worked great for me. I can't wait until my son can walk to see if he would do it with me.
  • tigersmom75
    Options
    We do those a lot and love them! I do in home child care and in the dead of the winter I have the kids along with my own kids do them - Denise Austin has a GREAT family one I rent from the library often. Also on demand they have some childrens yoga which is really nice on days when the kids are really wound up or overstimulated - we all do it together and it's fun enough to keep their attention. I even have tiny little 1 lb weights for some of the "older" kids including my almost 5 year old son and if they follow the rules and listen about safety they are allowed to use those :)
  • johnnieb
    johnnieb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My little boy liked the Kick box boot camp on demand! He never made it all the way-he's only 5 so he got tired of it- but it was so fun with him! He likes Zumba, too! Don't think it's on Demand.....very entertaining to see a 5yr old try to salsa!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    My son won't let me exercise...lol I get more of a workout trying to keep him from crawling all over me than i do from the actual pilates workout...lol
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM too and I love some of the On Demand stuff. It's nice that you can get a variety right in your home w/o having to find time to go to a gym for classes. My 4 yo likes to 'get his exercise' with me too. :-) He also likes to play along whenever we play our X-Box Kinect games. Great ways to get the kiddos moving with us.
  • teenysteaney
    teenysteaney Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My kids love joining in when I work out as well. My middle son loves doing (his version :wink: of) the shred with me, as does my two year old daughter - he loves the kickboxing circuits of BFBM as well. The only problem with it is that they are soooo funny that I can't concentrate for laughing at them! :laugh:

Before I started shredding etc, when I was trying to build up my fitness after a prolonged illness, they used to love doing the Leslie Sansone walks with me as well, so cute to see your little two year old marching away and loving every minute of it.

None of my children has ever really been interested in extercise before and now they are all really keen, which is lovely to see and helps keep me motivated so I can continue to set a good example to them.

My eldest son has ASD (Autism), along with hypermobility in his joints and hypotonic muscles, particularly in his core and upper body, which obviously causes him lots of pain problems sitting at a desk writing all day at school. He has always been resistant to exercise historically, because he just found it so hard and exhausting, but since my husband and I started exercising daily, even he is getting more and more interested. We have been able to get him to do some work on his core and his teachers have finally been able to get him to participate more fully in physical education lessons. Previously he could only run for a couple of minutes without getting out of puff, a painful chest and panicking that he was dying - now he can run three laps of the school field without stopping. :happy:

Its seriously made me think about what a terrible example I was setting to them all before and more determined than ever to carry on and improve the health of the whole family.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My son won't let me exercise...lol I get more of a workout trying to keep him from crawling all over me than i do from the actual pilates workout...lol

I'll second that, but I go ahead and try anyway. I figure the 10 minutes of ridiculously hard yoga I get in is better than nothing.
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    i love hearing everyones stories about working out with the kiddos...my daughter hates it when i work out too...but with Leslie it seems the only way i can get away with it...also Just Dance 2 on the Wii...she loves to make pretend she is dancing and playing along!