hm4's- Tip of the Day-BLOATING

Options
hmo4
hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
So you're feeling good about yourself and how things are coming along and then..BAM...the belly starts to bulge, jeans get tighter, and you wish you could just let 'er rip!
According to Oxygen magazine, this is a very common occurence, especially among "cleaneaters". Here are a some suggestions on how to avoid the "bulge", especially for those important occasions!
1)Cruciferous veggies- brocolli, cauli, onion, cabbage, brussel sprouts, radish, beans
-contain a complex sugar called Raffinose that is harder to metabolize in the upper and smaller intestinal tract.
2)Fruit is generally ok-except for DRIED fruits, typically in Trail mixes. It's shrivelled down to as small as 1/10 its original size, but still has the same fiber quantities, so you're likely to eat more to feel full. Overload on fiber!
3)If your body is not used to eating a higher fiberous diet, you'll definitly bloat.
4)Sodium-higher quantities ina meal or diet will draw water so we'll get more thirsty-and drink more.
5)Sugerfree gum-As you chew you swallow air, and they contain artificial sweeteners.
6) Artificial Sweetners-contain suger alcohols eg Sorbitol, Xylitol and other ingredients ending in "tol", produce gas and if eaten in larger amounts can actually have a laxitive effect.
7)Lactose intolerant-occurs more in men than women. You may not know it!
8)Not chewing your food well enough-the stomach has to work harder at breaking down the food, therefore your food is forced to stay in your stomach longer (should only stay in your stomach for about 2 hours). The intestines are not able to sort and digest improperly chewed food therefore bloating occurs.

In conclusion, if you're looking to have that flat belly, stay away from anything high in salt, prepackaged, processed or deepfried. As for those gassy veggies, dried fruit and artificially sweetened items, stay away for a few days prior to your special occasion. Be sure to chew your food well, and drink plenty of water and green tea to flush your system.

Replies

• hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    So you're feeling good about yourself and how things are coming along and then..BAM...the belly starts to bulge, jeans get tighter, and you wish you could just let 'er rip!
    According to Oxygen magazine, this is a very common occurence, especially among "cleaneaters". Here are a some suggestions on how to avoid the "bulge", especially for those important occasions!
    1)Cruciferous veggies- brocolli, cauli, onion, cabbage, brussel sprouts, radish, beans
    -contain a complex sugar called Raffinose that is harder to metabolize in the upper and smaller intestinal tract.
    2)Fruit is generally ok-except for DRIED fruits, typically in Trail mixes. It's shrivelled down to as small as 1/10 its original size, but still has the same fiber quantities, so you're likely to eat more to feel full. Overload on fiber!
    3)If your body is not used to eating a higher fiberous diet, you'll definitly bloat.
    4)Sodium-higher quantities ina meal or diet will draw water so we'll get more thirsty-and drink more.
    5)Sugerfree gum-As you chew you swallow air, and they contain artificial sweeteners.
    6) Artificial Sweetners-contain suger alcohols eg Sorbitol, Xylitol and other ingredients ending in "tol", produce gas and if eaten in larger amounts can actually have a laxitive effect.
    7)Lactose intolerant-occurs more in men than women. You may not know it!
    8)Not chewing your food well enough-the stomach has to work harder at breaking down the food, therefore your food is forced to stay in your stomach longer (should only stay in your stomach for about 2 hours). The intestines are not able to sort and digest improperly chewed food therefore bloating occurs.

In conclusion, if you're looking to have that flat belly, stay away from anything high in salt, prepackaged, processed or deepfried. As for those gassy veggies, dried fruit and artificially sweetened items, stay away for a few days prior to your special occasion. Be sure to chew your food well, and drink plenty of water and green tea to flush your system.
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    Thank you! thank you! thank you! It's been driving me crazy that I'm losing weight but my pants are just as tight or tighter! That's good stuff to know.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    well i'd rather be bloated than give up getting the amazing vitamins and fiber that come from the vegetables that are listed

.... oh nevermind, i didnt read the bottom paragraph saying this was for a big occasion. then i can see why you'd not eat these for a few days haha. i was thinking "longterm wat"