Any College survivors with no student loans or debt?

Options
2»

Replies

• calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I lived with my mum all five years of uni with no car. Used my student ID for every discount imaginable (free public transportation). I was offered Pell Grants for my state uni with work study and never accepted loans. I had enough money for tuition and books plus a little left over. It was super easy for me because I had little to no living expenses and could devote all funds to school.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Hahah-that is a good one! :wink: Luckily, my parent were very gracious and paid for a large portion of my undergraduate schooling but I have some debt from that. Also, I received a scholarship for all four years which really helped. However, grad school is all on me so that is where most of my debt will be from.

I knew people in college that did work study--worked at the university and their earned money went towards their tuition.
  • almille
    Options
    I used savings from working in Highschool, worked as an RA when taking classes to cover room/board/fees, worked Co-opping full time six months at a time (not taking classes) to save up money for tuition to go back to school. Had to borrow about 6k from family/friends who where in a position to loan me money without interest, will be able to pay off after graduation. I still have a semester to go. ;)

Working can only go so far, Loans are sometimes a necessary evil. Financial planners at school should be helpful in setting realistic expectations.