Question for any couponers

alecta337
alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
Hi,

This is kinda a couponing question.

I got a Lysol Neutra Air Freshmatic a few months ago, and now its not working anymore. The device turns on, there is spray in the refill, but the sprayer doesn't go off. I want to email Lysol and have them send me a coupon to get a new one for free. When I buy something I expect it to last longer than a few months.

My questions are: Do you agree that I should try to get a free one? What should be the tone of my email? and also anything else you can think will help me get a new one.

I know it may be a lot of trouble to go through to get something for free that costs around 6$, but I don't have extra money to be spending and I don't like when my things break.

Thanks!

Replies

• Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    You purchased a product (with coupons or not). You should get a reimbursement for something that isn't working. The price of it doesn't matter. Just send them a message telling them you've only used it for a few months and it stopped working.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Just be matter of fact about it. State when you bought the air freshner and explain the ways in which it no longer works and that you expected it to last longer. Maybe throw in something about not being able to return it to the store (did you check to see that you can't return it to the store?) and then ask what they can do to compensate you. If you are feeling nice, you could also put that you do enjoy it/the smell/whatever and that is why you would like to continue using the product.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I agree ^^
    They should be happy to send a replacement.
  • That is exactly right. Your tone should be matter of fact, not cloying or rude. Coupons are a form of money really, and I doubt any manufacturer will have an issue replacing your product.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    ...especially when they make even more $$ by selling you the refills. I'd be asking for some of them too. :wink:
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    in my written communications class we just had to write complaint and adjustment letters. if you write the company and say what went on with no tone or emotion behind it (ie harshness etc) they will send you a refund. this is how we learned to write a "propper" one.

1st paragraph. begin with a detailed description of the product such as where when how numbers costs ect. it helps to have a copy of your receipt, without it you have less of a chance to get what you want.
    2nd state exactly what is wrong with it. how many times did it work before, when did it stop working
    3rd briefly describe the inconvenience you went through
    4 indicate what you want done such as credit, refund, repaired.
    5 ask for promt handling of your claim. statements like "i would apreciate this to be hadled within the next two weeks so i can continue my business with your company"

they should reply with a 4 paragraph letter saying what they will do explaining what went wrong and a solution to what you want done. ending on a positive note

hope that helped :]
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Just be matter of fact about it. State when you bought the air freshner and explain the ways in which it no longer works and that you expected it to last longer. Maybe throw in something about not being able to return it to the store (did you check to see that you can't return it to the store?) and then ask what they can do to compensate you. If you are feeling nice, you could also put that you do enjoy it/the smell/whatever and that is why you would like to continue using the product.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Thank you all for your help.

I actually didn't purchase the sprayer thing myself, my bf's mom got it so I don't have the receipt.

I really loved this device when it was working, the house always smelled nice. I miss it =[
  • mezzosoprano89
    mezzosoprano89 Posts: 81 Member
    You may as well just email lysol and see what they say. Worse they could say is that they are sorry for the malfunction and not give you a coupon for a new one. But in my experience with companies they should be willing to give you some sort of coupon for a new one or at least a discount.