Things people say...

Options
lynn1982
lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
So...this is more of a rant than anything else... Last night at dinner, one of my relatives commented on my weight loss. I've lost 37 pounds since May, which doesn't sound like a ton, but I am 4'11 so it's quite noticeable if you haven't seen me lately. In any case, my dad's wife then chimed in and said "oh, to be young and just wish to lose weight and then it happens." I'm pretty sure I didn't just wish it to happen and actually put a hell of a lot of work into eating healthy and going to the gym every freakin' day. Everyone laughed when she said it, but I found it a bit annoying...

Has anyone else come across these types of comments?

Replies

• karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    How old is she?
  • lynn1982
    Options
    Late 50s. I understand her metabolism is slower than mine (which I assume is what you're getting at, although I really don't think that should matter with the comment she made), but she said months ago that she wanted to lose weight, yet what she eats does nothing to help that.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    no, not meaning to defend her at all, I wondered if she might be more my age, and I was going to say what a silly ***** lol

I am 45, its nothing to do with age, its how much you eat and how much you do. That is all...lol
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    So annoying!! My Mum says "I know you have 'that thing' you are doing at the moment" while she tries to force feed me cake!!! Sorry Mum but I don't want to be a size 26 like you!!! Deal with it!! :explode:
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    Some people can be really witchy. I think she is just jealous. Anyone can do it if they try. One of my old coworkers decided that she wanted to run marathons when she turned 60. She had never run before but she wanted to try. Now she is in her 70's and winning marathons for her age class (and I mean the 26k or longer marathons). Don't let her comment bother you because you know how much work you have put in to becoming healthier!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Late 50s. I understand her metabolism is slower than mine (which I assume is what you're getting at, although I really don't think that should matter with the comment she made), but she said months ago that she wanted to lose weight, yet what she eats does nothing to help that.

I think her comment was more a way to justify why SHE hasn't lost the weight than why you did. Not sure if I'm explaining it right, but your success is a big reminder to her that she hasn't done what she said she wanted to do. Making you feel bad may not have been her intent (or ....maybe it was if she is a b*tch, I don't know). Yes, it is harder as we age, but we just have to try harder. Not everyone who got a "A" in school had it come easy. Some had to work for it.

Hope that makes some kind of sense :flowerforyou:

Edit: *sigh* I don't like the way this sounds. It may come across that I think you did have it easier than her. Not what I wanted to convey at ALL.

Edit again: YOU were willing to do the work required of you, but SHE is not willing to do the work required of her. Yeah, I like that. :bigsmile:
  • lynn1982
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I think part of the issue is that I only see her once every week or two. When I do, it's usually for dinner, and I always save up my calories for those dinners. It's not that they're particularly unhealthy, but they're always fairly calorie dense and there's always tons of wine. While I save up my calories and usually pass on the wine, she eats like that every single night. So maybe she thinks I do too...