Ladies, I need your help!

Options
Right before I get my period, I eat like a monster for like a week! I mean a big big monster, I devour ANYTHING that comes my way regardless of taste, calorie content, health.... you get the idea. SOOOOO once or twice (I'm just not very regular) a month, I get thrown off my healthy eating wagon by mother nature :/ Any idea's on how I can calm this down and eventually STOP?
I've tried eating a bigger breakfast and snakcing on fruits, but I will just grab a fruit then a cookie, then a crisp or just keep on going until there is no more fruit left, yes it's healthy, but a WHOLE pack of grapes isn't moderation :/
HELP HELP HELP PLEASE! and thank you!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Nothing you can do that I have found

We have been dealing with it for years :/ will power! Maybe get in some more exercise so you can eat a little more
  • LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I try my hardest to resist my cravings unless they are really really persistent. Then I give in MODERATELY!! Then I will go and try and burn some extra calories to off set whatever I've eaten. I drink a ton of water and green tea to help flush the excess water.
  • yvnursechick
    yvnursechick Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just went throught it... I got nothing.. I did more work out... Moving boxes.... But i'm curiose for an answer too...
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I used to have really out of control cravings too and very irregular cycles. Barring any medical condition like PCOS, I'm certain that clean-eating & exercise plus water intake will truly help. My cravings have lessened every month since I've started this fitness lifestyle and with the loss of almost 40lbs and a gain in my fitness level and seriously cleaning up my food intake, I've noticed that I only need a dose of pain meds, maybe 1 or 2 times my whole cycle now and it used to be 4-5 doses a day for 3 days straight.

I feel for you!! It's so hard break these habits and our bodies are telling us EAT EAT and our emotions are up and down and we feel like crud....but somehow you'll find the inner strength to take power over your body! I know you will. :happy:
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can do that I have found

We have been dealing with it for years :/ will power! Maybe get in some more exercise so you can eat a little more

^Agreed.
    I have found that it all evens out though, some days I'm less hungry. It's all about net calories over time, a day or two won't change your weight loss significantly. I've decided it's just best to feed the beast at this point...
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It comes down to willpower. If you really can't control your hunger (hunger, not munchies), surround yourself with healthy food. Peel and cut up carrots so they're ready to munch on, divy up your grapes into baggies. If you're still over on your calories, burn some.
  • marielladear
    Options
    Thank you all! Tomorrow is a new day so I'm going to push through and grit my teeth (literally) hahaha! But thanks again ever so much and I definitely work out more! It makes me feel better too!
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I found this Information Interesting when i was looking to help a Friend...

Hormonal changes

The levels of estrogen and cortisol fluctuate throughout the menstrual period. When the levels of cortisol in the body are high, the body activates its defense mechanism to make it metabolically active. This causes increase in the appetite of the woman. The tendency to binge on sweets and other high calorie food comes due to the increased demand of the body for extra energy. One more hormone responsible for this change in cravings is serotonin. This chemical, produced in the brain, is dependant on carbohydrates for its production. Hence, a sudden drop in serotonin levels during premenstrual period increases the demand for sugar in the body, thus causing increased craving for the same.

The relation with blood sugar levels

Low blood sugar levels or hypoglycemia during the last days of the menstrual cycle are also responsible for the increased desire to eat sweets in women, during that period. There can be a significant drop in blood sugar levels, along with irritability and weakness during premenstrual period. This leads to increased hunger in the woman and leads to a tendency to crave for food containing high carbohydrates.

However, indulging in calorie-laden food is the wrong way to combat these hormonal and metabolic changes. A proper lifestyle and balanced nutrition plan can help the woman overcome these problems without disturbing her diet plans.

Ways to fight the food cravings-
    If you are not able to control the urge to binge on carbohydrates, you are advised to eat food containing complex carbohydrates rather than simple carbohydrates. This may sound counter-nutritive, but reaching out to food containing complex carbohydrates can help you to avoid getting the same craving again and again. Food containing complex carbohydrates like pasta, whole grain bread and cereals reduce the repeated cravings for sugar, as they take longer time to digest. They also help in increasing the levels of serotonin in the body, within half an hour of consumption.
    You should avoid eating processed sugar in order to avoid repeated hunger pangs, during the premenstrual period. Processed sugar can increase the insulin secretion by the pancreas, in order to metabolize the ingested sugar. If the levels of insulin rise to sufficient levels, they can further increase the desire to eat sweet and fatty food. Hence, foods containing processed sugar should be avoided to combat the premenstrual cravings.
    If you have a desire to eat fatty food, you can try food rich in essential fatty acids. These types of food slow down the absorption of carbohydrates and stabilize the blood sugar levels. This, in turn, stops the repeated cravings for carbohydrate containing food.
    Always drink a lot of water during the premenstrual period to flush out the toxins from the body and reduce bloating.

I have always found eating things Like tuna, salmon, advoccado and seed's helpful when i am feeling a binging scenario as they fill you up and your not going to eat tin's and tin's or 6 advocado's. where as anything with sugars you just go back for more... like your grape's!! chocolate etc... So stick to food's you wont go back for more and more and more... coz once you spike those sugar levels your will just keep going and going!! Hope that helps?? Good luck
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Also Lower Zinc Levels can stuff around with your appetite during this time. Try taking a multi vitamin with Zinc, as unless you eat alot of Organic produce our diets are really lacking in it.
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have this, too. My solution is to not have any of that junk in my house. If you have kids at home (I do), then buy the "treats" they like that you can resist. For me it's gross chocolate chip granola bars and generic "oreos"-my son loves them but I do not, so it sure makes it easier. That said, if I am DYING for chocolate, I will go buy a small candy bar at the gas station. Not a bag of candy bars, just ONE candy bar. That usually does it. Having to go out for it (especially if you live in a cold climate as I do ) is not always appealing.
  • magdaleneg
    magdaleneg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It's mostly willpower, as people have mentioned BUT I do find that natural black licorice really helps to suppress my cravings. Maybe that's worth a shot?!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Some months I feel like I could eat the WORLD! I'm just so hungry and I can't get full. Basically, it comes down to willpower. Like several said above, exercising more helps. Also drinking lots of water, and lo-cal drinks like coffee (decaff), tea, and diet soda helps me. (I know the health nuts will freak on this one, but it helped me lose 40 pounds and keep it off). I'm not good at deprivation, so I have to have something realistic!
  • adrum
    adrum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You could always try in the difficult pre-mentrual week - just maintaining your weight - I know that I just cannot control my craving for chocolate at this time - so I just allow myself to have an indulgent bar of chocolate - but keep on track with the rest of my food intake - so my priority in this week is to not put weight on (or particularly to lose weight) but to maintain the same weight - And it feels OK to lose weight for 3 weeks, have a rest week and lose weight for 3 weeks - by keeping in this cycle I am still moving in the right direction.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    What i usually do if im craving something specific is i let myself have a little of what im craving with a tall glass of water. Than go on a walk. Just a stroll really for maybe 20-30 mins. Craving really just come and go. You gotta let it pass.