Shingles

Options
Anyone ever have shingles? Very painful!! How long did it take to go away?

How about so advise
Thx

Replies

• 2BHEALTHY
    Options
    Anyone ever have shingles? Very painful!! How long did it take to go away?

How about so advise
    Thx
  • jree435
    jree435 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've never had it but my mom did.

The length of healing time depends on how bad you have it. The worse it is the longer it will take to heal and the worse it hurts :frown: If you are otherwise healthy, it won't take as long. I think it took my mom about a year to fully recover with the pain lessening as time progressed

The thing to remember is pain management. :cry: When it hurts take the pain meds.
  • BritCom Fan
    Options
    If you just found about it (within a few days), Ask your doc for a medication that you can take a prescription medication called Valtrex. This will greatly reduce the time that you will suffer from shingles.

A coworker had it at the same time as my sister in law. The coworker took Valtrex and her symptoms were SIGNIFICALLY shorter than my sister in law who didn't take it. Plus the pain wasn't as bad as it healed.

http://www.valtrex.com/shingles/speed_healing.html

Ask your doc - - I hope it helps.

:flowerforyou: All the best,
    Linda
  • Got2LoveMe001
    Options
    Uggg, I had them once on my neck, they hurt like crazy for about 5 days and then they just kinda dry up and fall off (yes, that sounds gross, but its true)
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Be careful, it`s contagious.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine had them last year - she was out of work for about 10 days!

Feel better!:flowerforyou:
  • Got2LoveMe001
    Options

Although a lot of people think that, its not true.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I had em in college. Shingles are actually a mature version of the chicken pox. See once you get chicken pox, the virus never leaves your system, and under times of extreme stress they can manefest as shingles, they suck, they hurt and they can last anywhere from a week to 3 months. I had em for about 1 month on my back, I couldn't sleep more then an hour cuz when ever I rolled on em I woke up screaming.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

If you haven't had the chicken pox it is!
  • d5d14m66
    d5d14m66 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

QUOTE:

Actually, that's only partially true. Several members of my family have had shingles, in varying degrees of severity, and were cautioned by the doctor to avoid contact with certain individuals.

WebMD explains:
    Avoid contact with people until the rash heals. While you have shingles, you can spread chickenpox to people who have never had chickenpox. Be extra careful to avoid people with weak immune systems and pregnant women and babies who have never had chickenpox.
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    My mom had it on her back and she was in severe pain, I bet she had it for like 2-3 months. It was bad. It appears on a band of nerves that is in your body, not sure of the medical terms but that is where it showed up on her. And you can contract chicken pox if you haven't had them from someone with shingles however, you can't get shingles from someone who has shingles, I mean, unless you get as stressed as they do!

Hope you feel better !