New here.....

Options
Hi everyone! I am still trying to figure this site out, but so far I am really liking it! I like the idea of having a support system to keep me motivated, which has always been my biggest problem, so if you want to add me, that would be awesome! I am pretty much making a drastic 180 degree turn around in my life. My husband and I both quit smoking and drinking and eating bad food a lttle over three weeks ago and I am just now getting to where I can do cardio for a solid hour everyday without almost killing over. My goal is to get up to 2 hours a day of cardio and strength training, stick to my 1,200 calorie a day diet (healthy food only) and drop 30 pounds by new years day as well as tone up quite a bit. I am still trying to get the science down of the calories in, calories out thing. It has proven to be very confusing! If anyone has any good advice on that, I am all ears!!! Thanks!

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you.

My best advice for a new calorie logger like yourself is to make sure you have your calories set up properly.

Be sure to get between .8 - 1g of protein for every lb of body weight.

Get .4g of fat for every lb of body weight

Fill in the rest of your calories with carbohydrates

Don't drink your calories, drink water instead. Try to get as much sleep as you can and train. You don't need to kill yourself either. Make small changes which you can sustain in the long run. If you go cold turkey your chances of failing are increased. Same goes with your weight loss goals, set them small at first.
  • Gonzoxx
    Options
    Hi... and welcome... i just would advice you that you must try to eat more than just 1200 calories... just to avoid to get stucked on your weight loss... and totally agree to gp79's advice...welcome and i know you will achieve your goal :)
  • Granny07
    Granny07 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can add me as a friend. We all need friends. This has helped me a lot. Quitting smoking is hard, but just do it I quit 11 years ago when they told me I had emphysema, and only had 40% oxygen. I had smoked for 52 years. I have not had a ciggerette since.
  • Granny07
    Granny07 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can add me as a friend. We all need friends. This has helped me a lot. Quitting smoking is hard, but just do it I quit 11 years ago when they told me I had emphysema, and only had 40% oxygen. I had smoked for 52 years. I have not had a ciggerette since.
  • discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    hi there and welcome. i commend you on setting such good goals!!! my only advice is that if you choose to work out 1-2 hrs a day you will need to increase calorie intake so you dont burn lean muscle. also make sure you are drinking plenty of water at least 3 quarts a day and twice as much when you work out. a good rule of thumb is drink in ounces the total of your weight. example if you weigh 150 you should drink 150 ounces a day especially if working out an hour a day. please add me as afriend i look forward to ujs going on this journey together.