Oh my gosh, I've been drinking so much water!

1Corinthians13
1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
:laugh: :laugh: Just thought I'd share!!! :laugh: :laugh:

I am on number 9. And, aside from the Jack and Diet I plan on having once I get home tonight, I will continue to drink water. I'd say another 8 glasses easily.

Is that too much?

I've been to the bathroom at least once an hour! I'm not sure if I'll be able to get through my run here in a few minutes without having to take a potty break!!

Replies

• 1Corinthians13

I am on number 9. And, aside from the Jack and Diet I plan on having once I get home tonight, I will continue to drink water. I'd say another 8 glasses easily.

Is that too much?

I've been to the bathroom at least once an hour! I'm not sure if I'll be able to get through my run here in a few minutes without having to take a potty break!!
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    I typically drink around 3-4 Nalgene bottles a day, no problem. That's around 96-128 ounces!!! I think that if you're pretty active (like I have been lately) it's a good idea to drink more than the normal 64 ounces a day. :wink:
  • i drink 2.5 servings of water every hour and go to the bathroom a lot. when i work out though i sweat all of that water and i dont have to go to the bathroom while i workout i might when i am done. u can never drink to much water. the people who drink 11 servings a day is know to increase there metabilisim 10 percent each day.
  • SJGBassett
    SJGBassett Posts: 10 Member
    It is possible to drink too much water. You should check a medical website online that might give you specs for what would be a safe amount. You are most likely within the normal, acceptable numbers but why the need to be a fanatic about it? What are you trying to do with all that water intake? If your urine is clear you are well hydrated.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    The only possibility of drinking too much water is if you have 2.5 gallons in a matter of minutes. This could cause water intoxication. Otherwise, I think you're safe :smile: I also think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the recommended 8 glasses is assuming no additional exercise, and that if you do workout, you want to replenish what you've lost from the additional activity.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    9 what?

16 oz glasses? 20 oz bottles? ... etc.

Put it this way, the human kidneys can process a LOT of water (between 14 and 16 liters a day) or 5 gallons or somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 ounces.

So health wise, you're not even close to being in trouble. that being said, you don't NEED anywhere near that much. between 64 and 100 oz a day will keep you nice and hydrated (unless you have other issues)

It's worse when you drink a LOT of water really FAST. Like 2 gallons in 10 minutes or something like that. That can lead to water intoxication (YES it's real), and that's dangerous.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    I drink about 96 most days, sometimes more like yesterday. So far, it hasn't hurt me. Wow, the change in my skin is amazing, not to mention that water was the key that unlocked my weight dropping:wink: and I know that the calorie intake was equally to thank. But over years of abusing my body from "lack of water" I sure turned it around. My legs looked just like the mojave dessert in Summer, broken and cracked skin, yuck. All gone!!! I think you can overdo anything but it has to be your call on how much you need and also, not so much your food won't digest right. That bile in our stomachs, I heard, can have too much water and slow down the "breaking down" of the foods. Read that somewhere:)

Keep up the good work, youre a winner!!! denise

Is that too much?

• You know you should sip water about every 15 min.. sip! if you just drink by gulping it down its not really doing much good.. in and out. Its not really hydrating you the way it should. but you are getting some good out of it....
    I do think it could hurt you... i heard once a lady was trying to win a radio contest... get an ipod or something.. well she drank 3 gallons and she died.... her brain expainded to much... water on the brain.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/17/entertainment/main2365259.shtml
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    A friend of mine HAS over-hydrated himself when we lived in Hawaii... Which means that he drank so much water that his body flushed most of the electrolytes from his system. He ended up getting really light-headed and almost fainted. He had to go to the hospital, and they put him on, believe it or not, Gatorade. They said that he had to drink it to get the electrolytes back into his system and not to drink water for a day:laugh: . I can smile about it now, because who has ever heard of such a thing? But it really wasn't funny at the time. Don't get scared from it, though... He was drinking WAY more than I would have been able to.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member

Is that too much?

Your a very smart girl, you will know if you have had too much water! I drink 1/2 my body weight, and then more of I have more exercise. I weight 140 so I shoot for 70 oz a day. Thats a snap for me!!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member

Is that too much?

Your a very smart girl, you will know if you have had too much water! I drink 1/2 my body weight, and then more of I have more exercise. I weight 140 so I shoot for 70 oz a day. Thats a snap for me!!

LOL, I thought you meant half your body WEIGHT, I realized you meant in oz after. I was like YOU DRINK 70 POUNDS OF WATER A DAY? THAT'S LIKE 8 GALLONS OF WATER!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    9 what?

16 oz glasses? 20 oz bottles? ... etc.

Put it this way, the human kidneys can process a LOT of water (between 14 and 16 liters a day) or 5 gallons or somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 ounces.

So health wise, you're not even close to being in trouble. that being said, you don't NEED anywhere near that much. between 64 and 100 oz a day will keep you nice and hydrated (unless you have other issues)

It's worse when you drink a LOT of water really FAST. Like 2 gallons in 10 minutes or something like that. That can lead to water intoxication (YES it's real), and that's dangerous.

Thanks Banks for posting this...from time to time some folks will share about water OD and then new folks take it to mean they don't have to drink any water because it might be bad for them.:noway:

Great to have another water drinker among us that's not afraid of it or sharing the truth!!:drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker:

FC:heart:
  • 1Corinthians13
    It is possible to drink too much water. You should check a medical website online that might give you specs for what would be a safe amount. You are most likely within the normal, acceptable numbers but why the need to be a fanatic about it? What are you trying to do with all that water intake? If your urine is clear you are well hydrated.

I'm just really, really thirsty today. Haha. I'm not forcing it down. I'm just so thirsty!
  • Fitness_Chick

Is that too much?

Corin:flowerforyou: , I think you're doing fine, your body knows what it needs, someone shared when we workout we need more water...definitely true!! I drink 1/2 my body weight in oz. and sometimes a bit more if it's been a heavy workout. Keeping my water intake up really increases my energy level and has so many added benefits!:drinker: :flowerforyou:

Regarding the frequent bathroom trips, it does get better the longer you stick with it, your body becomes accustomed to it and you go less frequently.:drinker: Trust me, I'm proof!:tongue::laugh:

Have a great run Corin:flowerforyou:

• Fitness_Chick

I'm just really, really thirsty today. Haha. I'm not forcing it down. I'm just so thirsty!

Probably the pretzels that are making you thirsty!!:blushing: :noway: :tongue: :huh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • 1Corinthians13
    A friend of mine HAS over-hydrated himself when we lived in Hawaii... Which means that he drank so much water that his body flushed most of the electrolytes from his system. He ended up getting really light-headed and almost fainted. He had to go to the hospital, and they put him on, believe it or not, Gatorade. They said that he had to drink it to get the electrolytes back into his system and not to drink water for a day:laugh: . I can smile about it now, because who has ever heard of such a thing? But it really wasn't funny at the time. Don't get scared from it, though... He was drinking WAY more than I would have been able to.

I know that I've been advised to, on days when I run more than 3 miles, to drink electrolytes rather than just water.
  • Fitness_Chick

Is that too much?

LOL, I thought you meant half your body WEIGHT, I realized you meant in oz after. I was like YOU DRINK 70 POUNDS OF WATER A DAY? THAT'S LIKE 8 GALLONS OF WATER!
    Is that wrong?:huh: :laugh: :laugh: :wink:
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    I have read that way overdoing it will flush the kidneys too much....or dilute something....I'm not sure on the specifics....but I think it's very hard to get that high.

lol....if i would have read the whole thing....i would see that this has been addressed.
  • Fitness_Chick
    He ended up getting really light-headed and almost fainted.
    Ok, call me odd but I get that way if I DON'T get in enough water each day!!:drinker: :bigsmile:

Sorry to hear about your friend:flowerforyou:

• Fitness_Chick
    I have read that way overdoing it will flush the kidneys too much....or dilute something....I'm not sure on the specifics....but I think it's very hard to get that high.
    I think you're probably right...I think sometimes we over think the water deal instead of just enjoying it like Tam's recent thread shared. I believe she shared her famous water recipe on there:tongue:
This discussion has been closed.