Sugars way too high due to fruit...does it matter?

Options
When I look at the daily nutritional value my sugar is way too high. Sometimes it's double or more. Although I get a small amount each day from milk, the rest is coming from fruit I eat. I have a really hard time eating in the morning and fruit is all I can manage to get into me.

So if I know that the sugar is mostly coming from fruit...does it matter if the number is too high? When I look at the pie chart for carbs, protein and fat... I'm very close to the correct percentages. I don't eat sweets (cookies, cake, etc.) because I just don't have a sweet tooth and never have. I'm more of a salty girl (those numbers I try to be cautious of). My fat intake and cholesterol is all well under the daily allotment. I've tried to completely cut out all processed food from my diet.

Should I worry about the sugars if it comes from fruit and my total carbs are under?

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar from fruit. If I had a medical concern (diabetes, etc) then I'd worry about it. But as a person with no particular medical problems or dietary restrictions to consider, I let it ride and enjoy my fruit.

ETA: To be completely clear, I don't worry about sugar at all. I don't even have it showing on my Food Diary. I watch carbs (just for fun, I don't really 'worry' about them, just find it interesting to see how it adds up), protein, fat, calcium, and fiber. Sugar is not even on my radar.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging on MFP I had the same question and everyone told me not to worry about it if your sugars are coming from fruit.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar from fruit. If I had a medical concern (diabetes, etc) then I'd worry about it. But as a person with no particular medical problems or dietary restrictions to consider, I let it ride and enjoy my fruit.

ETA: To be completely clear, I don't worry about sugar at all. I don't even have it showing on my Food Diary.

^ This.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar limits are way too low. Less than half the diabetic Associations recommended daily limits. Especially if most of your sugar is from fruit, I'd change your limit. I did and I'm a diabetic!
  • Mjolner
    Mjolner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One way in which the fruit sugar effects your body is that it can spike the triglycride levels. But if you don't have a cholesterol problem or problems with diabities, I don't think it affects you much.
  • f15htank
    f15htank Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that's the general consensus, 'cause I'm a vegetarian and I can't even get protein without going over the sugar limit, much less eat fruit. :c
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! I'm glad to hear that fruit doesn't count. I was a little concerned since I am one of those "only eat dinner" people and in the mornings anything more than coffee is a challenge. I've been doing fruit for breakfast for a couple of weeks because the medication I take kills if you don't eat with it.

I didn't know you could change your sugar numbers... I'll have to see if I can figure that out. What would be a better number for sugar? Or I can just ignore it as long as my carbs are good! LOL Right now one banana and milk in my coffe uses all my sugar for the day!