it can be done!!

Options
I've been working hard since January. At the gym 4 days a week, at the pool 2 days a week, rowing 3 days a week, and religiously logging every last bite. And with all my hard work the weight has been coming off, slowly but surely. I figured I got this down. So when the opportunity to study for a month in Mexico came up, my first thought was, "hell yeah!!" My second thought was..."oh crap - every Mexican recipe I know of starts with a big lump of lard...". However, I did a little research (not enough, obviously...more on that later) and decided that I could join a gym cheaply for the time I was there and get lots of swimming in. Between that and being careful with portion size, I figured I could probably maintain, or at least gain just a LITTLE weight.

So imagine my surprise when I got to Guadalajara and discovered that for the greater majority of my stay, the Pan American Games would be on (like I said, not enough research). And, there was no pool time to be had for love nor money...and the gym owners, anticipating an influx of athletes raised their prices to beyond ridiculous and definitely beyond my wallet. Oh CRAP!! So, for the last 4 weeks I focused heavily on portion size and healthy choices. That meant more days of buying papayas, watermelon and cucumber from the carts as a snack instead of hitting the panaderia. And smaller amounts of the oh so delicious big lump of lard recipes. And walking....miles and miles and miles of walking.

The results? Well firstly, I had a great time. But secondly, not only did I not just maintain while I was away, I lost! A decent amount! And I lost several inches off my butt and hips from all the mileage - enough that I had to buy a belt while I was away!

The moral of the story: never give up and never give in - it can always be done!!

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    WOW! I am so impressed that you managed not only to avoid gaining, but to lose! That is an incredible accomplishment!
    I'm taking this as my inspiration if I ever go on a long trip. Just because I'm away doesn't mean all self-control goes down the drain! Thank you so much for sharing this- keep up the great work!
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Impressive, Congrats!
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    well done... it just goes to prove that changing lifestyle is more important that what you actually eat... I am so glad you enjoyed your time... this is exactly the kind of story I want for the book I am writing....
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    Great Job!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!