Broke the plateau!

Options
Ok, my weight loss journey started almost a year ago after I had hung on to baby weight for almost a year. My vow was to lose 30 pounds. I started nutrisystem and ended up losing 25. Then for some reason I stopped losing weight and remained there for almost six months! Nothing I did worked. I upped my workouts, went back on Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, everything! Then, I found this site and realized I wasn't eating enough for how busy I was. My body was in starvation mode and wouldn't allow me to lose any more weight. Before I was only eating about 1000-1100 calories per day, working out and on my feet everyday. I was burning about 2000 calories a day and eating about half that, no wonder I felt like crap! Anyway, I upped my calorie intake to 1500-1700 depending on my workout and I have already lost 2 pounds in a week and a half! Needless to say, I am thrilled. So, my advice, beware...starvation mode does exist and it isn't much fun! Good luck to all of you in your weight loss endeavors!

Replies

• repete11
    Options
    Ok, my weight loss journey started almost a year ago after I had hung on to baby weight for almost a year. My vow was to lose 30 pounds. I started nutrisystem and ended up losing 25. Then for some reason I stopped losing weight and remained there for almost six months! Nothing I did worked. I upped my workouts, went back on Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, everything! Then, I found this site and realized I wasn't eating enough for how busy I was. My body was in starvation mode and wouldn't allow me to lose any more weight. Before I was only eating about 1000-1100 calories per day, working out and on my feet everyday. I was burning about 2000 calories a day and eating about half that, no wonder I felt like crap! Anyway, I upped my calorie intake to 1500-1700 depending on my workout and I have already lost 2 pounds in a week and a half! Needless to say, I am thrilled. So, my advice, beware...starvation mode does exist and it isn't much fun! Good luck to all of you in your weight loss endeavors!
  • Jelybe
    Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Well done! This is a great story for those of us who are nervous about upping calories... Thanks!
  • craigc155
    Options
    It's great that you broke the plateau!!!! I am working really hard today to REACH my calorie intake allowance. I've been on this for 2 weeks - and haven't eaten enough calories any of those days! I am not starving...but obviously not eating the right foods. The other day I had 4 c. of brocolli and a piece of talipia - for a grand total of 180 calories for supper! Not enough calories...but couldn't possibly eat anymore! I'm going to add things like nuts, avocadoes, cheese to what I'm already eating - and we'll see if that helps me lose more! Keep at it!
  • repete11
    Options
    One thing I have been doing to help up my calories is throw in some fruit for supper instead of an extra serving of veggies. I know it sounds funny to have an orange or pineapple for part of your dinner but it does help! Also, you can dip your veggies in hummus which will help your calorie intake...happy eating!
  • mandersen16
    Options

Thank you for this VALUABLE info! I've always heard that this could happen, and you really worry about eating more, but nice to know that someone tried it and it actually works! :happy:
  • RandJsmomMary
    Options
    great job I am staring out I knew about the plateau but I never thoght that it could be for not eatting enough clories I thought you had to up or chnge your work out anyhow thanks now I know what else to look for
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    thanks for anopther confirmation to all of us who sometimes question eating all our calories...lately I have upped my workouts and am burning around 1000-1100 a day and that gives me alot to eat and I do because I know it works and you confirm it again..thanks Dave:smile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    thanks for this post, it is really helpful.
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    I just wanted to say congrats on breaking your plateau!!! :drinker: Ive run into three plateau's during my weightloss journey and i know how frustrating they are!

Great job!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Good for you, and thanks for posting. I think there are tons of people out there that don't realize that you have to eat to lose.
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS:flowerforyou: What a great accomplishment and thanks for sharing. I for one can relate to what you experienced.

Keep up the great work:flowerforyou:
  • jcpm98
    jcpm98 Posts: 114
    Options
    I started exercising and MFP on Jan. 6th of this year and I started out not eating enough calories. I have learnedd so much on here and am so thankful! The first week when I wasn't eating enough calories I only lost 1 pound after I started eating more calories my 2nd week I lost 5 pounds, 3rd lost 2 pounds and today was my 4th weigh in and I lost another 3 pounds! So don't be afraid to up those calories!!! Eat more but eat smart!!!

Jess
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!