Most HORRIBLE run ever...please help!

Options
That was probably the most horrible run EVER. It is about 40 degrees out, and it happened to be SUPER windy. My nose was running, my eyes were burning, my saliva got really thick, so I felt like I was choking and I kept having to spit, I couldn't take deep breaths in because of the cold air and wind blowing straight down my throat, which made me light headed because I couldn't breathe. I got about .5 miles in, and I had to walk the rest of the 3 miles. It was soooooo bad. I was nausea....I seriously thought I was going to have to call for help because I was going to FALL out on the sidewalk.

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON RUNNING IN THE WIND AND COLD! I have a Turkey Trot 5k in a few weeks. I have to be able to do it! Some people say they like running in the cold, but I have NO idea how or why someone would like running in the cold. I thought I was dying!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Running outside is just something you need to build up on. No other way around it, except, maybe a gator mask like snowboarders wear.
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 110
    Options
    You do acclimate and get better at it, so don't get discouraged. For me, the key is to SLOW down, especially at the beginning of your run...if you feel good, you can gradually increase your pace.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    When its windy I have to run with my head down to be able to breathe. Make sure your breathing through your nose as well.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    That does NOT sound like fun! But I've run in the cold many times before, and I get it. Are you wearing enough to keep you warm? You'll want to wear leggings, definitely, and a light but well-insulating jacket (tech gear works the best, because it keeps you dryer longer). Ear muffs, gloves, headbands, did you try all that? They do make face masks suited to running or doing heavy activity in cold weather. www.rei.com has a lot of good things to choose from. I like to run in the relative "cold" (not when it's snowing outside!) because running in our Florida heat during the summer is BRUTAL. Way worse than running in the cold.

Also, if you've never run in the cold before (and I'm not sure how often you run...), but it might not be a bad idea to power walk FIRST in the cold a few times. Get your body used to it. Wearing a face mask or scarf (I recommend turtle fur if you're going to get a scarf; www.turtlefur.com) and having it cover your mouth will help keep the air you're inhaling warm so that you don't feel like your airway is constricted.

Good luck and I hope you have a much more comfortable run next time you go!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Breathe ... it could be a variety of things. I don't know what it was but consider the following:

Everybody had 'bad' runs every once in a while ... maybe this was just a tough run for you.
    You might need more experience running in this type of weather.
    You might be on the verge of an illness.
    You may be heading towards your cycle.
    Something you ate/drank made things a little more difficult than normal.
    You don't like wind/cold and talked yourself into a bad run before you started.

Everyone experiences days when they can't run like normal. Try it again tomorrow and start looking for patterns of evidence. Personally??? I'd take it with a grain of salt and call it a rough day and move on. This too shall pass.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    To me it sounds like it was a bad run on top of the cold and maybe not just due to the cold.

You can buy neck warmer type scarfs. That way if it gets warm, you can just pull down off your nose and mouth.

The only time I find it hard to breathe is when it gets to the 20s. In fact, yesterday I ran at 30 degrees and was just fine.

You will adapt. Just keep at it.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I run with a thin scarf covering my mouth/nose. It keeps the air a little warmer. It's the worst, running in the cold. I'm doing a Turkey Trot in Columbus on Thanksgiving and I'm a bit worried about it.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You get used to it! Most runs under 3 miles feel like that for me, then I settle in and my body starts cooperating. I don't have much specific advice other than- keep going, it will definitely get easier. Also I always bring a water bottle even if I'm going 3 miles, that'll help with the saliva issues.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I would look forward to running in the cold, 30-40 degree weather. A good long sleeve technical layer, gloves just to keep your hands from being in the raw elements, a hat that covers the tops of your ears. The first 2 / 3 miles are the worse because you're not warm yet.

Blow a snot rocket (with the wind) if you need, and just keep going. Some of my best times have been in cooler/cold weather.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    That does NOT sound like fun! But I've run in the cold many times before, and I get it. Are you wearing enough to keep you warm? You'll want to wear leggings, definitely, and a light but well-insulating jacket (tech gear works the best, because it keeps you dryer longer). Ear muffs, gloves, headbands, did you try all that? They do make face masks suited to running or doing heavy activity in cold weather. www.rei.com has a lot of good things to choose from. I like to run in the relative "cold" (not when it's snowing outside!) because running in our Florida heat during the summer is BRUTAL. Way worse than running in the cold.

Also, if you've never run in the cold before (and I'm not sure how often you run...), but it might not be a bad idea to power walk FIRST in the cold a few times. Get your body used to it. Wearing a face mask or scarf (I recommend turtle fur if you're going to get a scarf; www.turtlefur.com) and having it cover your mouth will help keep the air you're inhaling warm so that you don't feel like your airway is constricted.

I run indoors normally, but when my boyfriend signed me up for the 5k, I freaked out because I'm not used to running outside. I've been running outdoors now for 2 weeks or so....in chilly weather. I think it had to have been the wind yesterday. My throat still hurts today :( and I'm coughing because my throat is irritated. I need to google it, but I have Asthma, and it makes sense to me that the cold air might react a little more extreme on my lungs (constricting them) than the average person.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    When its windy I have to run with my head down to be able to breathe. Make sure your breathing through your nose as well.

I was trying, but my nose was snotting! I kept wiping it on my sleeve!
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    Breathe ... it could be a variety of things. I don't know what it was but consider the following:

Everybody had 'bad' runs every once in a while ... maybe this was just a tough run for you.
    You might need more experience running in this type of weather.
    You might be on the verge of an illness.
    You may be heading towards your cycle.
    Something you ate/drank made things a little more difficult than normal.
    You don't like wind/cold and talked yourself into a bad run before you started.

Everyone experiences days when they can't run like normal. Try it again tomorrow and start looking for patterns of evidence. Personally??? I'd take it with a grain of salt and call it a rough day and move on. This too shall pass.

Thanks. I told my boyfriend last night that I was super discouraged from it. It really sucked.
  • annimal74
    Options
    I am a very thirsty person all the time. When its cold its worse. I chew gum ot keeps my mouth from drying out without having to hassle with a water bottle :) also I live in the north its cold up here. I suggest under armor cold weather gear. Thats helps me focus on breathing and not freezing to death lol hope that helps
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Ahh tres useful!

I don't personally suffer, never have, so I find it hard to know what people are suffering with EXACTLY... but my boyfriend says the same thing...he has asthma so maybe he has a slightly more delicate respiratory tract to me!

To be honest, I'm not sure if clothing will help that much... I've run in military issue shorts and PT vest in the snow, but I think people may be right about the mask thing, may make the air slightly less harsh. The only think I can like it to potentially which was VILE, was when I was ski touring in the Cairngorms... at the top, the surface layer of ice snow was being blown around like Ice dust in the air in high winds and it was going in my throat and probably a little in to my lungs, I ended up with a very sore throat, a chest infection and cold from that! Since then when skiing, I've used my polar buff (you can get non branded versions which are in expensive!) which are great and I reckon you could use them running as they minimally interfere... you can get them with just the thin "buff" part too which may be more suitable! :)
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options

I was trying, but my nose was snotting! I kept wiping it on my sleeve!

My nose gets runny even when it's not windy so I know what you mean, I always carry a small towel that can tuck into a pocket or those arm band things if I have no pockets.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

I run indoors normally, but when my boyfriend signed me up for the 5k, I freaked out because I'm not used to running outside. I've been running outdoors now for 2 weeks or so....in chilly weather. I think it had to have been the wind yesterday. My throat still hurts today :( and I'm coughing because my throat is irritated. I need to google it, but I have Asthma, and it makes sense to me that the cold air might react a little more extreme on my lungs (constricting them) than the average person.

If you felt like you couldn't breathe, you might have exercise or cold induced asthma. Make sure you take your albuterol inhaler 20 t0 30 minutes before your run and you'll feel a LOT better. Also talk to your doctor about this.
  • cptnjck0209
    cptnjck0209 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have asthma that can be set off by the cold (only found out AFTER wheezing my way through years of high-school phys-ed!) and I usually take my inhaler around 20 minutes before heading out :) Also antihistamines helped me, something about not setting off the reaction my lungs want to give? But I also have persistent-rhinitis so could be more linked to that.

Either way running in the cold is usually quite difficult for me but yes a scarf, carrying water and using my inhaler help :)
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have asthma. What about a scarf so you can pre-warm some of that air. A light one or neckwarmer so you don't have to suck air through but it doesn't hit you square in the face and straight to the lungs. And use your inhaler first.

[/quote]
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and live in a cold climate. I always use my inhaler before running and I'm usually ok unless I also have a cough. The wind annoys me more than anything b/c it gives me a headache and makes my eyes hurt. My nose runs a lot too so I always bring some tissues along for blowing my nose.