Cannot seem to do this! It's a little depressing

Options
My name is Marcy.. A few months ago I was doing HCG drops and lost about 30 pounds. I have since gained back most of the weight. I do realize it is because I have returned to my old eating habits. Lots of chips, candy, quick foods, lots of bad carbs etc. Between work and my son I dont have much time on my hands to go to the gym. I love to dance so I try to dance around my apt as much as I can but so tired lately. I have tried to do a 1300 calorie diet because I do not excersice much but I seem to always cave and go on a binge eating spree. No matter how many times I have tried I cannot seem to stick to it. I have had two bowel obstructions in the last few months, at risk for diabetes, and alwasy so tired and exhausted that I get home and just sit or clean and then sit lol.

Not sure how to get past this. I need to lose the weight and dont want to do the hcg again becuase I find it hard to not eat the bad things and gain it back. Need some ideas and motivation

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Try a 1700 calorie diet. Don't try for 2lbs a week, try for 0.5-1 lb a week. Slow and steady is better than trying for too fast and failing. Try to get in walks 2-3 times a week...
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you talk to your doctor as your first step. After not getting anywhere in the first two months and being over-tired like you state, I learned that I had a number of deficiencies that needed to be corrected. A few changes and number of blood tests later and I was on my way to weight loss!
  • jewelssayer
    jewelssayer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This myfitnesspal is a great and easy aid to help.
    Think about a few things at a time. Concentrate on eating 3 really good meals. NO snacks. Drink water. Walk 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes with your son. It will work. Then later make changes as you get use to things. :love:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    If rereading your own post doesn't clue you in to what is going on, we won't be able to convince you.

As an adult you have to make some adult decisions. Start telling yourself "no". It's empowering.
  • ewiedemann360
    ewiedemann360 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    HCG is, like most quick fixes, not a lifestyle change. If you have time to sit, and time to clean, then you have time to exercise. Prioritize...you mentioned you have a son...think about how important he is to you...then like Rachel6503 says, slow and steady is better.

Consider sticking to a diet that will get you enough calories to stay well...get good snacks like Builder Bars, Chobani yogurt, and oatmeal...yes, oatmeal.

And remember, you can do whatever you set your mind to. Jack Lallane always said that exercise, training and fitness is all in your mind.

Best wishes, and stay well!
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Is your son old enough to help in the kitchen? If so, put aside some time on the weekend to make food for the week. Casseroles, bean and grain soups, corn tortilla enchiladas, thing that will freeze well in individual containers. If you eat more whole grains, veggies, and fruit you will start to feel better and get a little more energy for that exercise. Your son will benefit as well.
  • dsc32209
    dsc32209 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have also struggled but for some reason I found the motivtation this time. I have 1320 calories per day and it works best for me to divide the calories evenly between 3 meals and never skip meals. I also try to have al least 40% of my diet in protein. I am diabetic so that works for me.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Try a 1700 calorie diet. Don't try for 2lbs a week, try for 0.5-1 lb a week. Slow and steady is better than trying for too fast and failing. Try to get in walks 2-3 times a week...

this is it exactly. EAT MORE!
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're having a hard time, I remember what it was like back at the start. You have to stop beating yourself up so much and just make some small changes.

Can I suggest you go to a small calorie deficit to start off - maybe whatever MFP tells you for a half pound loss a week.

When I first started I was on 1800 calories a day - I wasn't using MFP, I was going it alone and if I'd tried to do it myself with so many changes all at once I would have gone nuts.

A small deficit, eating the foods that you still enjoy eating, but controlling the portion sizes to the point of staying within budget calorie wise.

I promise you, you'll see a difference quickly and as you get better at this you'll gradually swap the foods for lower calorie more satisfying ones and get more value for cal!

Small changes, big differences. It's a cliché I know, but by golly it works :)
  • tsportygirl
    Options
    Try small gradual things as opposed to doing it all at once. For example for the first week or two try to go without chips and a small amount of exercise every day so that you can get into a pattern... THen add in other things..

You can do this!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Check out this article, it will help:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/10/31/141794801/losing-weight-a-battle-against-fat-and-biology

It basically says that a person who's lost weight can't consume as much food as the person who hasn't lost weight until the body has time to adjust. Don't give up, just remember that once you reach your goal, you aren't done. But you can do it and will succeed.
  • jewelssayer
    jewelssayer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good idea :happy:
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    Truth be told, the decision is yours. This website is great. The people here are great, and we will work to encourage you. But, in the end, you have to want to lose weight more than you want food. One thing that helps is having realistic weight loss goals. Doing unhealthy diets like HCG doesn't work in the long term. If you're counting calories, you can literally have anything you want. But, a slice of cheesecake isn't nearly as filling as the rice, chicken, and veggies you could have for the same calories. You say you are at risk for diabetes. I am as well, and that's one of my motivations. My grandfather is dead from diabetes. I never even knew him. My grandmother is still alive, but has had 2 strokes and several toes removed because of diabetes. I realized recently that I am heading for the same thing very fast. Push yourself toward the future you want.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Biggest thing? Get the bad foods out of the house! If you don't have them, you can't eat them. That's the biggest issue. If you have to get up, get in the car, & go get them, you have the car ride, the store, the checkout line, & the car ride home to re-think EXACTLY why you're eating this, & how bad it is for you.

I've been a binge-eater before. It sucks. What I've done:

*Buy Fat-Free Jell-O
    *Buy Fat-Free Pudding Cups
    *Buy Fruit Cups
    *Sweet Cereal Bars, like Quaker Chewy Chocolate Chip
    *Keep Fresh Fruit in the House - Grab a Banana & some Strawberries when you crave sweet
    *Wait 10 minutes every time you get a craving before acting on it
    *Buy some home workout videos - Zumba might be a good idea for you
    *Post Inspirational Sayings on your fridge -
    1) "Nothing Tastes As Good As Skinny Feels"
    2) "YOU Are Your Own Last Line of Defense Against Junk Food"
    *Come on MFP when you crave junk food & read other people's blogs instead

Hope this helps!
  • McHeather
    McHeather Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When you you are craving something you don't think you should have, go for a walk, play a game with your son, chew gum, drink herbal tea, do your nails, crochet, do some stretching, do anything to take your mind off eating. Also when your starting out I'd say don't determine a time frame for your loss - commit to losing 2 pounds let it take how long it takes. Celebrate when that happens and commit to another 2 pounds. Make your goals be non scale related. Like I will walk/excersize ____ many times this week. I will drink my 8 glasses of water everyday.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    EXERCISE AND EAT HEALTHY, that's about it. all the common sense things we've learned over our lives, fruits veggies water, all that works. smaller portions of the things you would eat anyway. baked or grilled is better than fried. take a good vitamin. exercise can be as simple as taking a walk, and then as you start feeling better, more endurance, go longer and farther. and mind-set is a big factor, don't be hard on yourself.
  • curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I work a huge number of hours a week and have two school-age daughters at home. I thought I would never be able to fit in enough exercise to make it worth it, but doing Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred workout video (just 20 mins!) and keeping to 1,200-1,300 calories a day resulted in a weight-loss of 6 lbs. in a month. Plus, the toning was REALLY noticeable. Start small and be gentle with yourself. Find someone who will be a good source of motivation day in and day out, even on days that aren't so great ;)
  • babykanguruh
    Options
    You can do it! What seems to help me when starting a reduced-calorie diet is to drink lots of tea, specifically Traditional Medicinals brand "Weightless", and Yogi brand "Green Tea Blueberry slim Life." Once I get past the first 5 days, then I can cut back on the tea, but these really seem to control my appetite. Also, if you tend to binge on sweets,try taking a cinnamon capsule with meals. It really reduces sweet cravings and stabilizes blood sugar. You may want to check with someone before trying these since you had a bowel obstruction, because I don't know if these would be contraindicated or not. Good luck, and stick with it!
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options

this is it exactly. EAT MORE!

Agreed! Slow and stead will win this race. I have had a tough couple of weeks too, but we both can do this!!! One day at a time, one decision at a time....don't deprive yourself...moderation is key!
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You need to start somewhere so just make a committment to go for short walks each day.. even if it just means parking your car further away from buildings. If possible, take stairs instead of elevators. You can even walk up a flight or two( as many as you can) and take the elevator the rest of the way... if you live or work in a highrise type building. If you like to dance, get a zumba dvd and do that each night. Even if you don't finish it.... some activity is better than none. Eventually you will gain some more energy. You also need to improve your diet. I LOVE chips so I feel your pain, however try snacking on healthier options such as almonds, or veggie sticks. Make sure you get enough protein so you don't feel as hungry. Basically, baby steps.. a little each day will get you the results but it won't happen overnight and there is no quick fix.

Best wishes and remember.. you CAN do it!