Books that have helped...

Options
What is your favorite book? A cookbook? A "how to eat wisely" book? A motivational book on weight loss? Tips for exercising?

I would love to hear some recommendations...

Replies

• sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    What is your favorite book? A cookbook? A "how to eat wisely" book? A motivational book on weight loss? Tips for exercising?

I would love to hear some recommendations...
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    You are What You Eat by Gillian McKeith
  • timechange
    Options
    Good question! I wanna know too! :smile: Especially any motivation books!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Eat THIS Not THAT! really helped me in regards to realizing the caloric value of my favorite fast foods and making better choices.

As far as self-help type of thing, I enjoyed One Day My Soul Just Opened Up 40 Days and 40 Nights Towards Spiritual Strength and Personal Growth by Iyanla Vanzant.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I got a whole bunch (mainly military focused though)... I am just barely starting to read some of the "self-help" books to get me in a better mindset. I'll post a few later today when I can look at my books.
  • borac
    borac Posts: 174
    Options
    I love books and read a lot..

some of the ones i can remember at this moment..

Dr Phil' s " 7 key " book .. can bi helpful and motivating..
    " Skinny Bi.. ch .. sounds weired.. but it is eye opening and straight forw. she is leaning tow. vegeterian.. i will not be a veget. but it gave me some good insight into what is happening etc..

Hungry Girl- cook book.. really good. recomend it - at Costco it is cheaper than in other stores, and it is def. worth it- and also if you don't like it Costco makes no fuss about returning it..
  • jelee18
    jelee18 Posts: 46
    Options
    Hungry Girl by Lisa Lillien and The Best Life Diet. I previously had success with the South Beach diet as well.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

" Skinny Bi.. ch .. sounds weired.. but it is eye opening and straight forw. she is leaning tow. vegeterian.. i will not be a veget. but it gave me some good insight into what is happening etc..

Hungry Girl- cook book.. really good. recomend it - at Costco it is cheaper than in other stores, and it is def. worth it- and also if you don't like it Costco makes no fuss about returning it..

I just read Skinny B*tch!! And, it is really good. Very in your face. It puts a different spin on things; it gives you reasons not to put unhealthy food into your body that aren't necessarily related to the caloric intake.

A friend gave it to me for Christmas... she's a vegetarian. The whole point of the book is to become vegan, but even if you're not into that, I still highly recommend the book! There's always something there you can take away to help you on the road of healthy eating and living.
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl Cookbook is definitely worth the money! It has amazing recipes & advice through-out! :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

I just read Skinny B*tch!! And, it is really good. Very in your face. It puts a different spin on things; it gives you reasons not to put unhealthy food into your body that aren't necessarily related to the caloric intake.

A friend gave it to me for Christmas... she's a vegetarian. The whole point of the book is to become vegan, but even if you're not into that, I still highly recommend the book! There's always something there you can take away to help you on the road of healthy eating and living.

ohhhhhh so many varied opinions on this book:wink: So many there's a thread on them if you're interested in checking the archives..:drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Recently after some suggestions on here from others I grabbed the following books from the library.

*Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser
    *Eating for Life by Bill Phillips
    *Don't Eat This Book! Fast food and the Supersizing of America by Morgan Spurlock
    *Fat A$$ed...hm, thought it would be a good one (she lost over 200+ lbs on her own), heard only good things about it, but I found it much too slow a read for myself, it took so long for her to get into a life change (meaning took to much time into the book for her to finally share that part) so I got bored and am trying the above books now.:laugh: I may go back and try the Fat A$$ed one again ..I'll have to see, too many good books to be reading slow ones that take a bit of time to get into:flowerforyou: :tongue:

Morgan Spurlock did the film "Super Size Me" as well. The "McSickening" of America.
    I really enjoy his humorous writing style...and it's so incredibly informative in so many areas from fast foods to school lunches to dining out, society in general, all sorts of things are covered that really really make you take a second look at what you're eating & the behaviors behind it and what you may never want to eat again!:noway: :laugh: :bigsmile:

Wow, quite the eye opener hoping it kills my mental craving for crap for good, so far so good. :sick: :laugh:

Though I no longer eat crap (aka fast foods etc) my brain hooks into an old craving at times if I've not taken good care of myself right after a workout or not gotten proper sleep, water etc.

I now make sure I get in some carb/protein pre- workout and have the same combo within 30 minutes post workout. For those in the same boat as me, give it a shot...definitely won't find yourself craving the junk on the way home anymore! lol

FC:heart:
  • ma9321
    ma9321 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    The Abs Diet by David Zinczenko. It's how I lost 75 lbs in 9 months. :smile:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Five Factor Fitness--gives some great basic instruction for strength training and all can be done at home. I do alot more cardio than the book suggests and didn't do the food part of the book, but overall I really liked the book and the results I got from following it. I don't follow it completely anymore but I do use alot of what I learned from it in my workouts.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I actually read Oxygen and Women's Health magazines regularily to keep me motivated and get new ideas and learn... they're great! Look forward to getting the mail each month.
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    before read my book can you guess.
    :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
    :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding
  • lilnatn2
    lilnatn2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just read "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. I highly recommend it. Not so much a "diet" book but a really interesting look on the recent history of the food industry and why we eat the way we do. It's very eye-opening and will change the way you look at food labels!

55359.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    1.Good Carbs Bad Carbs,
    2. The 3 Hour Diet,
    3. The first half of 8 Minutes in the Morning for Real Shapes Real Sizes- the exercise itself is too easy but great for real beginners who need a baby step into exercise- the best part was the first part the soul searching section. I really had some break throughs with myself and how I feel about me- made some discoveries about myself too.
    4. The 3 Hour Diet Cookbook- liked it so much I bought it on eBay.

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Five Factor Fitness--gives some great basic instruction for strength training and all can be done at home. I do alot more cardio than the book suggests and didn't do the food part of the book, but overall I really liked the book and the results I got from following it. I don't follow it completely anymore but I do use alot of what I learned from it in my workouts.
    Looking forward to taking a look at this one too! Thanks for sharing it here:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:Sunsmiling.gif
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    1.Good Carbs Bad Carbs,
    2. The 3 Hour Diet,
    3. The first half of 8 Minutes in the Morning for Real Shapes Real Sizes- the exercise itself is too easy but great for real beginners who need a baby step into exercise- the best part was the first part the soul searching section. I really had some break throughs with myself and how I feel about me- made some discoveries about myself too.
    4. The 3 Hour Diet Cookbook- liked it so much I bought it on eBay.

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
    YAY more good book ideas, thanks Amy:drinker:

• Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I just read "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. I highly recommend it. Not so much a "diet" book but a really interesting look on the recent history of the food industry and why we eat the way we do. It's very eye-opening and will change the way you look at food labels!

55359.png[/url]
    Hm...not heard of the title but the author sounds so familiar, think I"ll check this one out :drinker: Thanks :)