Really picky boyfriend?

Options
l00zrr
l00zrr Posts: 109 Member
So here's the deal: He eats mostly Italian food, pizza, spaghetti, ect.
I need something I can feed both of us, so I can eat healthier, and he can.. well.. eat. LOL.
I've thought about feeding him something else while I eat something healthy, but I hate cooking, and we're on a budget.
Any ideas? c: I like everything but mushrooms and spinach.

Replies

• horror_hamster
    Options
    maybe try spaghetti squash instead of noodles. It can be pretty different than pasta, but it can be paired with the same things (sauces, chicken- or eggplant- parm, meatballs, etc.).

switch to whole wheat pastas if you cant cut them out completely. Whoel wheat/whole grain crust for homemade pizza (making these at home is MUCH less expensive than ordering out and can be a fun 'couples' activity)

I know you said you hate cooking, but I doubt you're going to find anything healthy about what you would be ordering regarding these so those are just some ideas :)
  • Marianna194
    Marianna194 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What about stirfry? You can put yurs over brown rice or plain and he can eat his over noodles.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    so youre asking, how can i eat pizza and spaghetti while keeping it healthy? well you can get thin crust pizza 280-320 cals for 1/2 pizza, and use shirataki noodles for almost zero cals

also learn to cook and learn to love it, especially on a budget it is a must
  • satikat
    Options
    spaghetti is easy to have. i eat it at least once a week. I measure my noodles carefully, add 90% lean ground beef (well drained) to the sauce and measure all of that carefully. I skip the garlic bread and add a salad. the cheese filled dishes like manicotti and pizza are harder to work in, but for me it's all about portion control.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Why can't he make his own food?
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Making your own sauces can really lower the cals. My standard sauce is;

1 clove of garlic
    1 onion
    1 bottle/pack passata
    2 tbsn tomatoe puree
    1 tspn each dried basil and oragano

Dry fry the garlic and onion in a non stick pan, add the other ingredients and reduce until it reaches the desired constancey. Mix in cooked pasta.

I really love to add a can of butter beans and (at the very last minute) stir in some baby spinach. Serve with a side salad.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    you can make a very thin crust pizza using Josephs Lavish Bread my wife and I will make it once in a while. We crisp the bread (really a big pita) we get about 4 large slices out of it and the bread part is only 100 calories for a full piece, it's about 18" by 12" you can pick any topping. We usually will spread some minced garlic on the bread toast it in oven, add some chicken sausage, grilled onions, peppers, mushrooms (delete if you don't like), any other thing you can think of. Put some fat free shredded mozzarella, put back in the oven and wait for the cheese to melt. It's very good and all the veggies make it very filling. Add cracked pepper if you would like as well. We will usually each have a whole pizza and it's under 400 calories. obviously depends on what you put on it. chicken would be good on it as well. It's a very thin crust. My wife and I are also thinking about making calzones with it. The Joseph's Lavish Bread is Oat Flax it's in the database if interested private message me and I can give you all the ingredients.
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    you can make a very thin crust pizza using Josephs Lavish Bread my wife and I will make it once in a while. We crisp the bread (really a big pita) we get about 4 large slices out of it and the bread part is only 100 calories for a full piece, it's about 18" by 12" you can pick any topping. We usually will spread some minced garlic on the bread toast it in oven, add some chicken sausage, grilled onions, peppers, mushrooms (delete if you don't like), any other thing you can think of. Put some fat free shredded mozzarella, put back in the oven and wait for the cheese to melt. It's very good and all the veggies make it very filling. Add cracked pepper if you would like as well. We will usually each have a whole pizza and it's under 400 calories. obviously depends on what you put on it. chicken would be good on it as well. It's a very thin crust. My wife and I are also thinking about making calzones with it. The Joseph's Lavish Bread is Oat Flax it's in the database if interested private message me and I can give you all the ingredients.
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Making your own sauces can really lower the cals. My standard sauce is;

1 clove of garlic
    1 onion
    1 bottle/pack passata
    2 tbsn tomatoe puree
    1 tspn each dried basil and oragano

Dry fry the garlic and onion in a non stick pan, add the other ingredients and reduce until it reaches the desired constancey. Mix in cooked pasta.

I really love to add a can of butter beans and (at the very last minute) stir in some baby spinach. Serve with a side salad.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    How about small personal pizzas? I've gotten some of my recipe ideas from here: http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com/what-are-you-eating/the-pizza-gallery-who-says-you-cant-have-pizza/

But as for my own, I used the following: 1 flat out wrap (to suffice for the dough, and good for when you don't feel like the hassle), 2 tablespoons of ragu pizza sauce, 4 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese, crumbled and spread out among the pizza (I hear feta and goat cheese are really good if you don't want mozzarella). I also added roasted red peppers for the sweetness, and cherry tomatoes which worked.. but aren't a must. I only used them because they were on the verge of going bad anyway. You can always pick and choose of course.
  • jhardenbergh
    Options

It can be a little high in sodium because of the sausage and bread but eliminating the sausage and going with chicken would make it much less and finding a low sodium cheese.
  • AppleADayAmber
    Options
    how about tofu noodles in the pasta? i believe they are spelled shiritake or something like that?? and u can swap out pizza crust with a whole wheat tortilla or personal pitas ;) and load on the veggies!
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    maybe try spaghetti squash instead of noodles. It can be pretty different than pasta, but it can be paired with the same things (sauces, chicken- or eggplant- parm, meatballs, etc.).

switch to whole wheat pastas if you cant cut them out completely. Whoel wheat/whole grain crust for homemade pizza (making these at home is MUCH less expensive than ordering out and can be a fun 'couples' activity)

I know you said you hate cooking, but I doubt you're going to find anything healthy about what you would be ordering regarding these so those are just some ideas :)

I actually enjoy spaghetti squash more than actual spaghetti, I have only eaten real spaghetti once since January. It's not worth the carbs in my opinion.
  • l00zrr
    Options
    Why can't he make his own food?

Thought I should reply to this one first. He has a birth defect, and only has one arm.
    EDIT : Sorry, cut off my thought process there. He CAN and DOES cook. It's just easier for me.
    He also works 12 hours a day, and goes to school, while I have no job.

Also, I CAN cook guys. (: I just hate it.

I'll try some of the ideas, thanks!
    Like the sauce ideas the best ;D
  • litlpineapple
    litlpineapple Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation - my fiancee wants to eat what he wants, usually not thought of as the most "healthy" meals, and I'm not going to cook separate. If you're going to cook, cook - make your own sauce and prep your entree as much as possible. It will save you on money, taste and nutrition.

We have at least one vegetable side with every meal. So, if it's super cheesy or high in calories, I have more vegetables and he's happy to have more of the entree. Guys naturally progress more calories than women apparently.

Be aware of portion control. I have pasta and bread and potatoes - just in moderation.

I cook mostly Italian style and when he's having Chicken Parmesan over spaghetti with zucchini. It's a baked cutlet and the taste is just as good, I have mine without cheese and over more zucchini than pasta.

Read the packages of any and everything that you buy that's processed. Once you start comparing and understanding what you're eating while following serving sizes you'll get a good grip on calories.

Good luck! It's more planning but it's worth it!
  • l00zrr
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation - my fiancee wants to eat what he wants, usually not thought of as the most "healthy" meals, and I'm not going to cook separate. If you're going to cook, cook - make your own sauce and prep your entree as much as possible. It will save you on money, taste and nutrition.

We have at least one vegetable side with every meal. So, if it's super cheesy or high in calories, I have more vegetables and he's happy to have more of the entree. Guys naturally progress more calories than women apparently.

Be aware of portion control. I have pasta and bread and potatoes - just in moderation.

I cook mostly Italian style and when he's having Chicken Parmesan over spaghetti with zucchini. It's a baked cutlet and the taste is just as good, I have mine without cheese and over more zucchini than pasta.

Read the packages of any and everything that you buy that's processed. Once you start comparing and understanding what you're eating while following serving sizes you'll get a good grip on calories.

Good luck! It's more planning but it's worth it!

c: Thank you.
    I'll try it, without zucchini. I'll substitute something else.
    Can't keep the zucchini down lol.
  • litlpineapple
    litlpineapple Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    c: Thank you.
    I'll try it, without zucchini. I'll substitute something else.
    Can't keep the zucchini down lol.

No problem. Once you pick a vegetable you like you can cook it any way with low cals - boil it, sautee with olive oil and spices, bake, or serve cold in a "salad". We eat zucchini, corn, string beans, potatoes, broccoli and carrots a lot. :happy:
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Meal planning helps. I have a picky husband and 2 picky little boys. Usually I have to plan all my meals and snacks for that day in the morning or the day before and then fill in my calories around what I log for dinner......So if I know we are having cheeseburgers or pizza or spaghetti for dinner, I log that in at the beginning of the day and then plan my other foods around that. It's just easier than eating something different than what they eat....and cheaper. And I eat spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti.....usually :)
  • l00zrr
    Options
    Meal planning helps. I have a picky husband and 2 picky little boys. Usually I have to plan all my meals and snacks for that day in the morning or the day before and then fill in my calories around what I log for dinner......So if I know we are having cheeseburgers or pizza or spaghetti for dinner, I log that in at the beginning of the day and then plan my other foods around that. It's just easier than eating something different than what they eat....and cheaper. And I eat spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti.....usually :)

Great o:
    Sounds like it would work.
    Just have to decide what we're having LOL.
    I don't have a problem with MY calories, just have a problem finding foods we BOTH enjoy.
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Try switching to extra lean ground turkey instead of hamburger (its about as cheap) as well as whole wheat pasta for any pasta dishes and for pizza, make your own at home. I still eat pepperoni pizza on occasion because I make it at home using a whole wheat pocket bread, a little sauce, a few slices of turkey pepperoni and some low fat mozzarella cheese and bake it for 10 to 15 min and its delicious. I add a salad on the side and I have pizza and salad for about 400 calories and I don't feel like I am missing out. The key is to learn how to make those things you love healthier so that neither you or your boyfriend feel deprived.