Don't understand the exercise logging

Options
Why is it that working out with weights does not affect your daily calorie numbers, whereas cardio exercise does? The weightlifting burns calories, too, right? And I would think it would be more accurate (say I moved 100 pounds 2 feet per rep for 3 sets of 12 reps. . .that would be simple to figure out the calories, right?). But when I do 275 calories of cardio on top of my weights circuit I get 275 calories added to my diary.
Does anyone manually log these calories? If so, how?

Thanks!

Replies

• jsmccloy
    jsmccloy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Why is it that working out with weights does not affect your daily calorie numbers, whereas cardio exercise does? The weightlifting burns calories, too, right? And I would think it would be more accurate (say I moved 100 pounds 2 feet per rep for 3 sets of 12 reps. . .that would be simple to figure out the calories, right?). But when I do 275 calories of cardio on top of my weights circuit I get 275 calories added to my diary.
    Does anyone manually log these calories? If so, how?

Thanks!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If you log it in under the cardio portion - put in strength training - it will pull up a calorie number. I'd don't know if you can put in specific activities or not - but the bottom portion is for reporting purposes to track the amount of time and days you did s.t. Hope that helps!
  • carla529
    Options
    I would also love to know....I strength train 4 times a week and I don't know if I'm consuming enough calories. I'm not losing much weight, so I don't know?????? :ohwell:
  • carla529
    Options
    MT Girl....thanks for the response!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    You can create your own in the cardio section, and you can edit the number of minutes/calories burned.

The weight training portion is more for logging then anything else. Since you can't really measure weight training in terms of calories very easily (low caloric burn during weight training, but long recovery time means you continue the burn for days after the workout, if done correctly).
    The weight training section is basically a place to keep track of what you have done.
  • smendek910
    Options
    jsmccloy CONGRTS on being smoke free for 25 days.:flowerforyou: I'm thinking about quitting and would welcome any help or ideas. How did you do it?
  • jsmccloy
    jsmccloy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the congrats, smendek. And I guess I can hijack my own thread for a moment to talk about quitting smoking :wink:
    I started smoking at age 12 and over the course of the last 21+ years I've tried just about every method available to quit. I've done hypnosis, I've done replacement therapy, the patch, nicotine gum, nicotine lozenges, Chantix, aversion therapy, cold turkey, cutting down to nothing, etc. Some of the methods worked better than others, but none worked for more than 5 months or so. This time, though, I think it's for keeps. I have an entirely new attitude towards cigarettes, tobacco companies, and smoking than I have in the past.
    In the past when I've quit I've focused on all of the benefits of not smoking. The cough would go away, my clothes wouldn't stink, I'd do better at rugby, etc. This is good, but it's not enough. Because once the cough goes away and you don't stink and you're able to run better then you start to think, "Wow, I'm so much healthier now, and 1 cigarette won't really change that." And that's when you get into trouble. I'd find myself wishing that stores would sell single cigarettes, or that there was a brand of cigarettes that was "good for you". But after listening to the stories of some acquaintances who were able to quit I realized that I was looking at it wrong. It's not the affects of the cigarettes that are the problem, they're just symptoms of the problem. It's the cigarettes that are the problem. It's the tobacco companies that foist the cigarettes on you, and give you "light" cigarettes that are more addictive that regular cigarettes but make you think you're doing better. They're the problem! And once I accepted that, then I knew that if I had one cigarette, those *kitten* would win.
    Now, every time I catch myself thinking that a cigarette would be nice, I quickly remember that (a) No, it would taste like crap now and not satisfy me at all and (b) that that's exactly how I started up every other time I quit.
  • smendek910
    Options
    jsmccloy you are an inspiration to me - maybe that's the way I need to look at it also. Thank you for sharing you're wisdom and "new" way of looking at it. I think I'm gonna give it a try.....