Waist size

Options
13»

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Just one more thing about waist measurement. I think we are supposed to measure our waist below where our rib cage ends. I just checked and for me that is just above or almost right on my belly button (it's also the smallest point for me). That is how you measure how much visceral fat you have, so it is for health reasons to know that number.
  • devinthegirl
    Options
    it comes down to skeletal. my best friend is 6' stick which makes shopping very difficult. she often wants me to try on her clothes & offers them to me because her hips are so wide, even though i have a higher BMI than her, i'm drastically shorter & my hips/ribs are just more narrow.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    ^^^ true

even for men you have to factor in inseam/shoulder-to-waist ratio

I have wide shoulders and a small waist so my upper body fits in a XXL shirt but it is like a tent around my waist...thank goodness for tailoring....lol
  • jennsills2013
    Options
    I know it can be really strange when it comes to sizes! I work out 2-3 times a day though. I am a 6 feet tall woman (36 yrs old) with a 29 inch waist, 16% body fat, and I am a size 4 in pants. I think it is hard to guess since everyone's body type is very different. Plus, it depends on if you have an hourglass figure or straight up and down figure!!!
  • jennsills2013
    Options
    You look so AMAZING! Great job on your fitness. How did you get such great abs by the way?!!! I guess a lot of clean eating! I work out 2-3 times a day, so I was just wondering!
  • jennsills2013
    Options
    Thank you so much for the analysis! It was great information to know. I used to do runway, so I think you are right on regarding the sizes! This is great information!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Jeans are my nemisis. My natural waist is right at the bottom of my ribcage, a good 2 1/2 inches above my belly button and is currently 30inches. At my belly button I am 35 inches. But then right below that, just above my pubic bone the shape changes, even though it is still 35 inches, every pair of pants, shorts, skirt I own slide to this spot and show off my horrendous natural muffin top/love handles. At my butt/top of thighs I am 39 inches. All this combined, and I just bought a pair of size 6 Levi's. If I tried to find a pair of pants that sat closer to my natural waist and covered the love handles, it would need at least a 9 inch long zipper. If you look at my profile pic, you can see what I am dealing with. I'm so envious of everyone that can wear pants that stay in place
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    It's that hokie woman sizing thing. Men use real measurment, not ficticious size 0......

We uses waist and inseam in inches. Seems kind of logical doesn't it?

Except - my waist and belly button are now 37" and all of my 34" pants are loose. Started in Jan at 40/39 and they were snug. What drives me nuts is my inseam is 31" so because they only do even increments my pants are either too short or too long.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    My waist is 30.5 and I wear a 10. I was a 12 when it was 32.5. But I have an absurdly long torso so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Also - remember "vanity sizing". Every make and designer sizes their clothing differently. A 10 in one store can easily be a 14 in another.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It's that hokie woman sizing thing. Men use real measurment, not ficticious size 0......

We uses waist and inseam in inches. Seems kind of logical doesn't it?

Yeah ...

Some brands of women's pants do that too. Doesn't help if the pants don't sit at your waist.

My measurements are somewhere around 35.5-25-34, bust-waist-hip. Maybe smaller in the waist and/or hip - I haven't measured myself in a little while. I'm usually in a US 0 or 2 - depends on the designer.

My biggest problems lately are pants that fit in the legs and butt, but are big at the waist and the skinny jeans that don't fit well over my calf. Apparently I have disproportionately large calves. Or something.