Calorie Intake & fitness

Options
I am kinda new to MFP, but not new to exercise. I have a 5 month old baby & am now trying to tone up.. and lose weight! What are your views on your exercise calories.. to eat them or not to eat them?! I have been eating them, becasue between exercise and breastfeeding, I though i would need the extra caloires. But the scale is going UP, not down... I am also new into weightlifting, about 3 weeks now (only 2-3x a week), however, cardio & running is nothing new to me. I'm back into great shape and can run well, I did it my entire pregnancy also.. But like I said the scale is going up & i'm not sure why. I feel like my face/belly is bloated now too. Any advice! I was suggested to use this forum, since everyone has different suggestions on what to do with all those hard working exercise calories!

Thanks Jayme

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    Not being able to see your food/exercise diary makes it difficult to comments. Common problems are not measuring food carefully which leads to underestimating how big a portion is so your true calories consumed is higher than you think. Eating too much sodium filled processed foods which causes water retention. Over estimating how many calories you burn.

Also realize that if you have started a completely new type of workout (weights sound like they are new to you) or increased your workout intensity a great deal, your body will retain water to help recover from that causing weight gain for many people. It usually settles down after several weeks and the weight comes off.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have been eating them, becasue between exercise and breastfeeding, I though i would need the extra caloires.

I would urge you to contact your physician regarding fundamental dietary needs considering you are breastfeeding. I would also urge you to err on the high calorie end of things, but my previous sentence trumps this advice.
  • JFunchion
    Options
    Thanks for the Advice! Yes According to the doctor I need to eat a high amount of calories to keep my milk production< I am having no problem with that area!!! Also I do think a big issue is water retention, bc I doubt i gained 4-5 # in a month! Atleast I hope not!!!
  • JFunchion
    Options
    I do not think I am hidding Calories, I am admitting everything I eat and if im not sure I try to over estimate! Also I use a running tracker when I run & usually am burning more calories than MFP shows! Not counting allll the calories I burn while breastfeeding daily. Kind Regards
    Jayme
  • loraflock
    Options
    Another way to avoid water retention is to make sure you are consuming the proper amount of water...if you are not drinking enough water your body will hold onto every drop it gets because it has to have it to work properly. It's similar to putting your body in starvation mode when it comes to eating...if you don't eat enough your body thinks its starving and holds on to fat.. it works the same way with water. Congrats on the new baby!:smile: