10K - do I run the risk?

Options
OK, have seen a 10K I would like to run in Feb - only thing is I haven't run 10K without stopping yet - halfway through bridge to 10K so 3 weeks to go. I'd like to wait until I know I can run 10K in under an hour before signing up - but apparently the race is really popular and if I wait I might not get a place.
Do I go for it?
HELP!

Replies

• crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt yes, enter, you will love it and I'm sure you will break the hour!

If nothing else, it will keep you motivated in training!

Enjoy your race :)
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT!! Who cares what your time is for your first, just do it! Im doing 10k in a few weeks.....for the first time!
  • bigtwagner
    Options
    Enter it will give you motivation!
  • caseysray
    caseysray Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    you should absolutely sign up! It's great motivation.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm registered for a half marathon in March that I haven't started training for yet. It's a great carrot at the end of the string to keep you going. Feburary is plenty of time!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Just curious why you need to run it in under an hour? Sign up for it for sure! But not because you can run it under an hour, sign up because you can no matter what time you finish it in :)
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Go for it the goal will push you
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Just curious why you need to run it in under an hour?

I don't need to run it in under an hour, but I've had a look at last year's times and the last person to finish came in at 1:15, so as I normally run on a fairly flat course and this one has a couple of hills, thought I'd allow myself a cushion!

Thanks everyone!
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Do it and run YOUR race...no matter what it is :) You will only regret the race you didn't do!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 10K a few weeks ago and ran it in 1:15. I wasn't even in last place. I use the term "ran" loosely since I'm an interval runner. I run 3 minutes and walk 1. At the end, I was passing people who had been running the whole time. Most of them were "running" at just slightly faster than my walking pace by that point, which is sort of silly, if you ask me. There's no shame in walk breaks, especially if they improve your average pace.
  • danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    go for it! I just ran my first 10k using the couch to 10K plan and I ran it in 1:06 (with a sore foot so my time was not as fast as I wanted it to be). There were 500 runners and I came in #277 so there were plenty of people slower than me. Just do it for the experience and you can always work on your time later. In fact, you might even find if you do a bit of walking your time will be faster than if you ran it straight - at least that's what I am finding. Good luck!
  • kettch00
    Options
    screw 10ks. go for a half marathon!!!
  • katyk00
    katyk00 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Bridge to 10K and have signed up for an 8K in December. I would def sign up and go for it, you might surprise yourself at how well you do!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Signed up! If I don't make it round you are all in BIG TROUBLE! :wink: