Help! Weight training?

Options
So I just joined my gym and I realized I have NO idea how to train my body...I have been doing INSANITY and other stay at home and watch and do what they are doing type programs...and I want to gain more muscle so I joined the gym. As far as cardio goes, I understand what to do. But for weight training, I am a complete idiot lol.

I played around with some machines but honestly have no idea of what days I need to work certain muscles, how much to rest, how many reps to do, all that good stuff.

I want to lose weight and tone my arms, abs, and hips. My legs have gotten really great results from INSANITY but the rest of my body needs more definition.

PLEASE HELP! I have no idea what to do! Plus are you supposed to do weights then cardio? Or the other way around? AND-if I am sore from lifting can I still do cardio?

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Get the book "New rules of lifting for Women". Err I think that's what it's called anyway. It's supposed to be very informative and I think it even has a program in there for you to follow. Should be able to answer your questions, and someone else will come along with the exact title I'm sure.

Good luck.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Do cardio after weights - and don't worry about being sore. Other than that, you should probably ask a trainer at the gym for some help.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I'm doing New Rules Of Lifting For Women and loving it! It's a 6 mo. program and everything is outlined-sets, reps, rest and so on. You can check the book from the library and see how you like it. I have been doing it for 6 weeks now and can see a big difference in my arms, abs and all over. Also, great improvement in strength. Lift heavy to see the results that you are looking for. Do cardio after weights, or cardio on the off lifting days. Check out the book , it's very helpful!
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I would ask the staff at the gym to help you. Usually they will offer at least one free session to new members. If not, I can't believe that they wouldn't explain to you how to use the machines as basic customer service. Even if they could tell you about two exercises for each major muscle group, that would get you going for a while as you learned more through other sources.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Google Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. These are recognized everywhere as the two best starter programmes. Do free weights / barbell training if possible
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Katie Butlers Back to Basics Gym and Personal Trainer Fitness Video might can help you.

http://www.amazon.com/Butlers-Basics-Personal-Trainer-Fitness/dp/B001FWY00I/ref=sr_1_4?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1320631977&sr=1-4

According to viewers, her workouts can be downloaded to an IPod or MP3 player.
  • swander572
    Options
    To add muscle you need to work out the different parts of your body in three days.
    Day 1: Chest & Triceps - for chest do benchpress, pushups, and pec flies. Triceps do triangle pushups, dips, and skull crushers
    Day 2: Back & Biceps - Back do chinups and pull ups along with rows. Biceps do preacher curl, barbell curl, and dumdbbell curl.
    Day 3: Legs & Abs - Legs squats, leg curls, leg extensions, calve raises. Abs I hardly work out so I cant give enough info.

If you don't know what some of the exercises are, you can google them and watch videos. Also eat about 200-300 plus calories in surplus (this will not go to fat but instead muscle) and up your protein intake.
    -Steven