18 Months Later Down 80 Pounds Half Marathon Completed!

Options
I will try and not make this too long but I will explain my journey for the last 18 months. Pics will be posted at the end.

History: I use to be one of the best yo-yo dieters around. I would gain 40-60 pounds during the school year because I would stress eat and not make time to work out and would loose 40-50 pounds during the summer when I ate healthy and made time to work out. I did this my entire undergrad from 2006-2010.

Starting Weight--245 (maybe even 250)
Current Weight--165

June of 2010, I was the heaviest I had ever been, so I decided I should start working out and running. I tried running one day and couldn't even run 0.5 miles. I didn't try running again for 3 months later. In September of 2010 I had finally had enough of my unhealthy lifestyle. I began changing my eating habits and making time to go to the gym, although I was working full time and going to grad school at night full time. This lasted until the end of October early November when I got off track and gained 10 pounds back. Towards the end of that month I discovered MFP and started using it that say. It helped me get back on track. I kept going to the gym 5 or 6 times a week and by December I had gone from 245 pounds down to 200 pounds. The only thing I was doing at the gym was running on the treadmill, I never lifted weights because 1. I did not know how and 2. I was totally embarrassed because I knew how weak I was. Throughout the months of January to May I followed MFP and maintained a proper diet and exercise regimen for the most part. There were weeks here and there that I got off, but I somehow always managed to get back on track.

By May of 2011 I was down to the 180s. 180 pounds was my original goal weight but once I reached it I moved it down to 175. In June I reached this weight and still was unsatisfied so I changed it to 170. I reached 170 pounds in August of 2011. I was still unsatisfied and decided to move it to 160. I reached 165 in September-October time frame and was unable to loose anymore weight. I accepted that fact that maybe I wasn't suppose to go below 165.

Rewind to August. I started Pharmacy School. I had done nothing but cardio for the last year almost. One of my classmates agreed to help me start lifting in the gym and since the end of August I have started strength training as well. In September I decided I was going to finally run a half marathon a goal I had made 2 years ago when I lost weight and never made it past 4 miles. I trained hard for 8 weeks and today (11/6/11) I ran my first half marathon without stopping. My goal time was 2 hours and 15 minutes and I ended up completing it in 1 hour and 49 minutes. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever done in my life. The adrenaline, all the runners and supporters really do get you through the race.

Over the last 18 months I have completely changed my eating habits. I have endured a lot. I have been called crazy for counting calories as much as I do. I had to go through a spell where people asked me if I was eating. I had to hear a lot of stuff throughout my journey. My advice to anyone who will face this or has faced it don't let it bother you. You may say it won't, I did, but when it comes down to it, it really affected me. My other bit of advice is not to just do cardio. Remember everyone starts out somewhere. If you can only lift 10 pounds lift the entire time you workout. It will help tone your body and replace your fat with muscle. Finally take more pictures. I wish I would have taken pictures throughout my journey. I just have the random pics that people have taken. But looking back I am so proud of what I have done.

Good luck to anyone else that is going through this. You can do it remember that. It takes time, hard work, dedication and patience. But you can do it! If anyone has any questions feel free to message me. I will answer them the best I can. I am by no means the most fit person but I work hard and have goals. Best of luck :)

Pictures **Last time I posted the pic of my in the orange polo shirt people said it wasn't me. I assure you it is. It is a mirror image of myself.

may2010-2.jpg

mebefore-2.jpg

aug2010.jpg

mewhite.jpg

sep2010.jpg

dec2010.jpg

summer11.jpg

mewhitecoat.jpg

nov2011.jpg

nov6.jpg

suit.jpg

may2011.png

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    what a series of pictures, but wow, you look amazing :drinker:
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    amazing!!!! and congrats on finishing the half~!
  • kwamgee
    Options
    WOW. Your pictures say more than 100000000000 words. Great work dude!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Well done DUDE! Congratulations. Now, keep those fat pounds off forever.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Congrats....you look amazing
  • chefchazz
    Options
    very nice! you look good darlin! congrats!
  • utgrrl82
    utgrrl82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    congrats!
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! Nice work!
  • emilyc19
    emilyc19 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    awesome job! and awesome half marathon time from going to not running to running that truly amazes me:) very inspiring! thanks for sharing! keep it up!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    What a great accomplishment. Congrats on your race!!!
  • teacherspet1
    teacherspet1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS AND WELL DONE !!! YOU LOOK LIKE YOUR OWN YOUNGER BROTHER.......WHAT AN AMAZING CHANGE!! YOU LOOK AND MUST FEEL TONS FITTER.........WHAT AN INSPIRATION YOU ARE.....:bigsmile:
  • Kphenderson
    Kphenderson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is sooo encouraging! Great job and wonderful pics!
  • coullmom
    coullmom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Love those dimples!! Keep smiling!
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look damn good!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Very well done.

You are, pardon the pun, taking big steps that will serve you well for the rest of your life.

Stick with it!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    BTW, if you check out this link:

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/agegradingcalculator/0,7977,s6-238-277-415-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

You'll see that you've run quite well. At 1:49, you're in about the 54th percentile for your age. If you drop that about 10 minutes, you're into the "local class". Just something to think about! :-)
  • Ritala1987
    Ritala1987 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    wow that is SO AWESOME!!!! congrats on all your hard work and thanks for the motivation!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Great work! You look incredible! It always amazes me to see the difference in peoples faces- who knew one could
    carry that much weight there to see such a big change?!
  • MeganSWoods
    MeganSWoods Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Amazing story and pictures! Congratulations on your half marathon! I'm registered for my first one at the beginning of May :smile:
  • Manda_H
    Options
    Very great job! you are very handsome :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!