Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

older & wiser?... I am not sure

I am 61 years old and I have had a weight problem all my life. On several memorable occasions, when I was 35, when I was 40, when I was 50... I have been down to the right weight, fighting fit and feeling great. If you have a weight problem, and you either have or you have not, you never actually lose the weight. You may separate yourself from it now and again but it is always lurking around the next corner, just waiting for you to take your eye off the ball!!
Well, here I go again, 9 weeks with MFP and I have lost 19 of the 70 odd pounds I need to lose... it is starting to show, and my clothes are fitting me better (and I love my clothes!) and that is the trick, keeping your eye on the ball. In a word, the key is "routine"... If you delve into MFP, or any other tools, you can analyse what you eat, what you shouldn't eat, when you should eat, how much exercise you should have etc. etc... but actually the bottom line is simply "calories in calories out". It does not really matter how meticulous you are about recording every mouthful, or every step of exercise you take... what matters is that you build a routine of recording... because it makes you stop and think, if you are tempted by something you don't need, or tempted to skip the lunchtime walk because its raining, or whatever... it will put you in the red... and we don't like that!
I use Walkmeter in conjunction with MFP... I keep some favourite clothes from slimmer times hanging around the room to try on now and again, and I only weigh myself once a week, first thing Saturday morning... here we go again, wish me luck!!

Replies

• Good luck. Its never too late to get healthier. :)
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    It looks like your frame of mind is good. It seems I must always be watching my weight. Any time I slack off it is more than happy to pile right back on. Best of luck to you!
  • Good luck.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    If you have a weight problem, and you either have or you have not, you never actually lose the weight. You may separate yourself from it now and again but it is always lurking around the next corner, just waiting for you to take your eye off the ball!!
    /quote]

So true that! Ugh!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    How nice to see another 'more mature' MFPer!

I agree, Jim, about the calories and the routine, but the big difference about using this site is the support it offers, and the accountability. It has really helped me to have friends here, so in that light,i f you want/need friends, please feel free to make me one of them. :smile: