Hi everyone!

Options
Hi, my name is Joel and I am from Des Moines, IA. I never struggled with my weight in my life. I was athletic and didn't care in high school, I was fat and didn't care in college, I was morbidly obese (5'10 380lbs) in my late 20s. Around my 31st birthday I went to the doctor and he told me I was prediabetic and had blood pressure that would put me in a grave in under 10 years. All of the sudden I cared...a lot.

I worked on my own for awhile (about 9 months) and saw some small successes. I went down to 310lbs. I started to get diet fatigue and recognized old habits come back. I was on a "no fun" diet of rabbit food and it wasn't working for me. I would slide and slide and slide....

I saw a sign for a $1,000 challenge at a local gym called Farrell's. They do a kickboxing program and a strength program. They also do Nutritional Seminars. I started the 10 week program in March and my life changed. I lost weight and started gaining some muscle. I went down to 270lbs. I also won the $1,000 (great motivator :D) http://www.extremebodyshaping.com/1000-winners.cfm?name=joel are my pics (Joel J.)

The 10 weeks ended in June. It is November and I am at 225lbs on my way to my goal of 170lbs with major muscle. I enrolled in the $10,000 year long challenge to keep me motivated. I also joined a gym besides to work up muscles with free weights (we used resistance bands at Farrell's.)

I am finally doing this myself and my way. I have learned that it isn't easy to do the right thing, but you can do it easily if you are determined. I learned how to eat (I eat 6 meals a day with a protein the size of my palm and a carb the size of my fist.) I drink about 22 cups of water a day. I also found the power of a weekly "free" meal that lets me eat whatever I want.

I am here to keep motivated, try to connect to the community here, and go a little bit "hard core" on my nutrition in hopes of winning the new contest. If anyone is in West Des Moines and is looking for a weight training buddy let me know!

Replies

• jeannine71
    jeannine71 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! What an inspiring story you have :) Keep up the great work and welcome! I'm sure you'll find everyone on the site to be super supportive. Enjoy
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    What a GREAT journey you are on. You can find MFP pals close to your zip code. Go under "Find Members" and plug in your zip, members should come up. Thanks for a fantastic story. I wish you all the BEST in your quest for a healthier YOU!!!!

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Youll find lots of support and help here...Great Job Man!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    What an incredible difference you have made so far, you should be very proud, I am sure you will succeed in your goals. :bigsmile:
  • norcalrv
    norcalrv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the story and great information. So many people here at MFP have done extremely well and you are one of them.
  • kasarin
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the wonderful words...I think I like it here and might stay awhile :D