Snacks

I am having a problem with snack size. I am eating every three hours to avoid blood sugar spikes and over eating at meal times. But the big question is how many calories is a good amount for a snack?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    It depends on if your "snacks" are mini-meals.
    Generally shouldn't exceed 300 calories, but honestly it doesn't matter as long as you stay around your calorie goal.
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    It depends on how many calories a day are you eating, but I would say 150-200 cals for a snack is a good number.
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    cant beat popcorn!

use a brown paper bag, pour in kernels, microwave

poof!

its usually only 15cal per cup popped
  • I love the 100 calorie snacks....And I like fruit tooo.... And I like those individual cereal with out milk...mmm
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    It depends on if your "snacks" are mini-meals.
    Generally shouldn't exceed 300 calories, but honestly it doesn't matter as long as you stay around your calorie goal.

This!
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    I do the same thing, space out food to prevent blood sugar spikes. It depends on the day I'm having. Sometimes my snacks are 100 cals and sometimes they're 200-250. Like others have said, just keep it within your total calorie count. Good luck.
  • hhcote
    hhcote Posts: 78 Member
    What's the calorie ratio of meals to snacks that people are doing? I'm on 1200 calorie day. How much of that can be snacks?
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    What's the calorie ratio of meals to snacks that people are doing? I'm on 1200 calorie day. How much of that can be snacks?
    There is no hard-and-fast rule. The trick is the calorific deficit, ie when you eat is not as much an issue. I am at a desk a lot of the time at the moment (staying off the feet - Doctors orders), so my snacks are often grazed ... eg tomato, piece of fruit, carrot, crackers, over the space of an hour.

Some people say 6 small meals per day, so it could be in your case 1200 / 6 = 200 per sitting.

Some days if I dont get a big breakfast (the other day THAT alone was 1000 cals !) I am not at my best.

And use water to feel fuller ... before, during and after.
  • hhcote
    hhcote Posts: 78 Member
    @gazz777
    And use water to feel fuller ... before, during and after.
    [/quote]

I am so hungry today. I just realized (at 9 pm) that I didn't drink one ounce of water! Had 2 cups of milk. Wow, tomorrow I'm definitely going to make sure I graze on water. :drinker:

Helen
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Water just makes me feel even more hungry.

When i eat, i want to drink.

When i drink, i want to eat.

As for snacks, well, the lower the calories you can find, the more of them you can have! :D

I'd rather have 3 fun size choccies bar throughout the day, at a total of 240 cals, than one choccie bar for 240 cals.