How do I make myself like running again

I used to run a couple of years ago and really liked it. I was very proud of myself to be able to run a 5k and want that feeling again. I know that adrenaline rush you get when you have finished a great run. However in the past couple of years I have gone through some illnesses that have put me on the sidelines but now I am ready to get back to exercising. I have started out walking at an incline to increase my calorie burn and the thought of running just does not appeal to me at all. My mind tells me that I will feel great after I do it but my body say hell with that. How do I get past that initial hurdle and love running again.

Replies

• kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    I was the same way. You just have to do it. Just go out and run, you will remember why you loved it.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Check out Jeff Galloway's run/walk method. It might really help to see it as walk a little run a little. I didn't start run/walking because I wanted to or loved it, but to get of cholesterol meds. Now I am rehabbing my knee and CAN'T run, and really miss it! But the Galloway method really helped me out.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,066 Member
    You just have to do it. Just go out and run, you will remember why you loved it.
    You're not going to get a better answer than that one, I promise.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    The C25K program really helped me LOVE running =] Never ever ever in my life did I like it, I only ever did it to help me lose weight. Now I go crazy if I don't run for a while.
  • crazy4flyers
    crazy4flyers Posts: 5 Member
    I also agree that C25K is a great way to get back into it. I used to hate running and this program helped me ease into it. Now I love running.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Can you find a running group in your area? Like an organized C25K program? Sometimes stores that specialize in running gear hold these classes, or look for one through a local running group - I do them all the time because it's a lot more fun to run with a group of people at a similar level, with a coach, You're all in the suffering together :-) Plus it gives you some accountability.