Am I destined to never be a runner?

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started running last December at age 38 with C25K, after telling myself for 26 years - since my best friend was asked to try out for the track team in junior high and I wasn't - that I didn't like it and couldn't do it. Now I'm running 8 minute miles, and love the feeling of accomplishment. Seven minute miles are my next goal. When I started, I was thrilled when I did my first mile in 12 minutes.

I never knew that you had to learn how to run, and that it takes time to build up endurance, then build up speed. I thought it was either something you could do well, or something you couldn't do well.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    If I can run anyone can.... I was a moderate smoker, alcoholic 2.5 weeks ago and could barely jog a mile... now I'm @ 5 on my good days and you look way healthier than me!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Believe in yourself and you can accomplish anything.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I have tried to like running my I just don't. It is a mental thing for me. I feel so left out b/c everyone runs. After reading this I don't feel so bad. I am still going to try and work on it b/c I know it is good for me. I enjoy kettlebell, zumba, Turbokick, etc. over running.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These are some great stories. I will look into C25K more. I have heard about it with great success stories, so maybe I'll give it a try. I guess in my head I feel like if I couldn't distance run when I was in the best shape of my life... I feel hopeless to try and do it again after years of poisoning my body with smoking. I guess I should not feel hopeless... and hey, if it doesn't work out... I will still keep on exercising one way or another. :)

We develop different strengths in our fitness...distance running is different than sprinting..taps into different muscle reactions etc...I am a runner..recently ran my 2nd marathon but speed work kicks my *kitten* and while I can tolerate the cardiovascular demands of a judo match better than most, 10 minutes of randori knocks the crap out of me and I actually want a water break...it takes time doing the actual activity to build the endurance for that activity
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I was in a running club when I was younger, 100 and 200 metres were my forte, not long distance at all.

Fast forward to now and I started back running last year but pulled ligaments in both my knees and in both my ankles from running too hard too soon.

So my advise would be, yes you can run again but you need to build it up slowly. I started the couch to 5 K programme last week and find it brilliant. I have 2 kids and still need to lose say 8lbs of my last bit of baby weight. When I did the running before I hurt myself, I found it briliant for toning up.

Good luck with it!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi, I second, third and fourth trying a run/walk programme like C25K. You might also like to read my beginner's running tips here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH?month=201105

With regards to not having been able to distance run even when you were fit from other activities, I refer you to points one and two above:
    1. When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

2. It gets easier. You’ll be amazed at the progress you make after the first week or two and soon won’t believe where you came from!

Good luck, and feel free to add me as a friend if you're looking for running buddies! :flowerforyou:
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Sigh. Not everyone can run. Fact !

Many centenarians will never be able to run. I have never met a 1 month old runner.

Yes, that sounds silly, but it is true.

I have a disability where I can walk, but not run, and I accept that with time I may be able to get to run. I also accept that until diagnosed properly, it could go either way.

I am overcoming depression so, not being able to achieve something when I *should* be able to does not help.

I have an MFP friend who gives walking/running/moving of any type a very good try. she falls, she gets up, she rolls, she moves. She gives it ago. I hope one day she can run with the rest of them. I applaud her.

If anyone says she CAN run if she tries long enough ... depends on her desire and determination AND her physical limitations.

My inspiration and advice is towards the positive here. Google "Nick Vujicic". Looking at him, I learned I can look fit, despite my disability, which is less obvious than his.

With that determination, in 8 months I've lost 30kg, and apart from my current injuries, I was able to walk for miles and miles and miles without losing breath or feeling tired. I was looking forward to doing C25k and hopefully next year I can.

The answer to the question "Am I destined to never be a runner?", the answer is find your passion, set a goal, set a destiny. Try and try again, and we find that the obstacles turn into opportunities, steering us through life.

Some are born to run, some are born to fly. If you are a bird, for Pete's sake, FLY !

Cheering you all on.

Gary