bikram/hot yoga

Options
Hi there,

I decided that I'd like change up my excerise routine. I will still continue to run but I thought I might take up bikram yoga as well. I have done a class once before (just to see what it was like) but obviously I didn't get to really experience the benefits of it.

I'm wondering if anyone on MFP has tried it for an extended period of time? What are some of the benefits/disadvantages?
Thankyou

Replies

• ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i am a big excersise fan - you name it, i've tried it. I particularly like cardio. I never enjoyed yoga or saw any benefit of it, i always had the mentality that 'if i can't feel it i haven't done it' hence the real reason i didn't get into yoga. The i tried bikrams - i'd never sweated so much in my life!!!! it was amazing. It gives you the most amazing feeling ever - but i have to say i never saw any benefits from the constant practice - it was a fairly stationary excersise. I also never found the 'mental' connection you can get from traditional yoga from it.

However then i started practicing regular yoga in a hot room (ashtanga, visyana, or even core power yoga) and saw the benefits physically AND found the mental connection i was looking for.

I know a lot of people love the bikrams but i really don't think doing the same 17 postures over and over in a stationary form is that beneficial.... but thats just how its worked for me - i'd look for a more intense type of yoga, but in the heat :)
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I did it for about 3 months this summer. It's a great workout and you definitely get used to the heat, humidity and all of the sweating. For me, it's like this:

Advantages:
    1) No warmup routine necessary. It's 90 minutes of pure workout.
    2) You get extra stretch because your muscles are so warm
    3) You definitely gain some mental discipline working out through the discomfort of the heat

Disadvantages:
    1) My main one was that it really wiped me out. 90 minutes of hard work in that kind of heat dehydrated me even though I drank a ton of water. I had to take a nap after I got home and sometimes had heat headaches.
    2) It was on the expensive end
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I do hot power yoga 3x per week (75 mins) and Restorative yoga 1x per week (90 mins). LOVE IT. Just a quick note-Bikram yoga is done in a room the is 105* and there are 26 poses you do in a specific order everytime.

My hot power classes are switched up poses but Sun Salutation 1 and 2 are always included - it is VERY fast paced and gives me a great workout (95* room). The restorative is slow and more relaxing but again a great workout. It has transformed my body and spirit.

Check your local studios a lot of time they will offer a free class to new student.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it off and on for about 8 years. I found it to be like any other exercise in that I have to diet in order to lose weight. I think it's an excellent activity that has kept me relatively strong and flexible. The only drawback is that it can take a lot of time out of your day which is why I switched to Core Yoga studios since their class is only 60 minutes long vs. 90 minutes for the traditional Bikram Yoga class.
  • starscreensiren
    starscreensiren Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am a huge bikram advocate and regularly practice. It has helped me lose most of the weight I have lost this far, as well as helped my body cope with other forms of intensive exercise such as running. The benefits that I have experienced are numerous; great skin, increased flexibility, overall mood improvement. Most of all it has helped me to develop my mind. Feel free to add me as a friend and as any specific questions if you want.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it since the beginning of the year. It is really hard to get used to it, and I can't say I enjoy the actual doing of it, but wow I feel fantastic afterwards.
    The advantages are:
    * my skin has never been better
    * better sleep
    * it really kick-started me wanting to get the rest of my weight off
    * flexibility and helped my back problems
    * it has definitely helped my depression, it is the only thing that really gets me in a meditative state
    * although yes it is the same poses all the time, I get something different from it every time I go.

GG
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    Agree totally with Starscreensiren!

I don't do Bikram but I love the heat of my classes. I look forward to the power classes because I KNOW I will have a wonderful workout, be able to have a still mind and let all the stress of my day just melt away. They say that it shouldn't be your only form of cardio because that's not the true meaning of yoga BUT I will say that it has trimmed my waist and entire lower body as well as my shoulders (downward dog anyone). Plus, I sleep like a baby every night now.

Just try as many classes as you can to find out what works best for you.