different scales?? Help

Options
what sort of scales does everyone use? the old style ones or digital? and would there be a difference between them both?

ive just bought myself a new set of digital scales, and ive just weighed myself this morning and from what it says ive lost 3.2 kgs in a week?
would that be correct or should i use the older style ones?
im just a little confused if ive actually lost the weight or not lol

Replies

• Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'd say as long as you compare yourself with the same scales, doesn't matter too much. I know that doesn't help immediately.. when was the last time you used the wii? That'll tell you if you lost roughly 3.2kg or not won't it?
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale the measures in .2 lb increments. I bought one that has cells? in the 4 corners so if it's not on an even surface, it will still be accurate. I can move it all around and it tells me the same number two times in a row, always. (My old scale could give me anywhere from -12lbs to +5lbs within 5 seconds)
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    what sort of scales does everyone use? the old style ones or digital? and would there be a difference between them both?

ive just bought myself a new set of digital scales, and ive just weighed myself this morning and from what it says ive lost 3.2 kgs in a week?
    would that be correct or should i use the older style ones?
    im just a little confused if ive actually lost the weight or not lol

i used the wii just the other day but didnt weigh myself , cause it was only like 3 days after i had already weighed myself
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    Options
    I have a digital scale the measures in .2 lb increments. I bought one that has cells? in the 4 corners so if it's not on an even surface, it will still be accurate. I can move it all around and it tells me the same number two times in a row, always. (My old scale could give me anywhere from -12lbs to +5lbs within 5 seconds)

wow that scale sounds really cool, so you can just adjust it
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Some of the newer digital scales also show body fat, muscle mass... love mine.. :)
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My "Weight Watchers" brand scale from Costco was digital. It gave different readings all of the time. One day I'd be excited to have lost a pound, three minutes later I had gained three!

Good thing Costco has such a great return policy. Now, I just go on how my clothes fit!
  • Rachiepie6
    Options
    Yeah, my WW one varies a bit.
  • RobertaKR
    RobertaKR Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have an old-style scale. I wasn't sure if it was accurate so I used my 10 lb hand weights and adjusted the dial until it read 10lbs exactly. I also tested wtih 25 lbs (several weights) to make sure. Now I just calibrate it every so often.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I use my Wii balance board - it goes to the oz. and will track it for me, it also tracks my bmi but I don't put alot of stock in that.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have found that different scales give different results even if I step directly from one set to the other. I guess they are just calibrated differently.

A tip that I have found useful was to take something that has a set weight, i.e. I use 2 x 5kg hand weights and calibrate my scales to read 10kg when the hand weights are on the scales. This means that the dial doesn't point to zero when the scales are not in use, but I feel that I am getting a more accurate read of my weight.

PS Make sure your scales are on a solid floor, not on carpet, as that can give strange readings!
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    Options
    I have found that different scales give different results even if I step directly from one set to the other. I guess they are just calibrated differently.

A tip that I have found useful was to take something that has a set weight, i.e. I use 2 x 5kg hand weights and calibrate my scales to read 10kg when the hand weights are on the scales. This means that the dial doesn't point to zero when the scales are not in use, but I feel that I am getting a more accurate read of my weight.

PS Make sure your scales are on a solid floor, not on carpet, as that can give strange readings!

thats a great idea! just used my Wii fit board with x2 1.5 kilo weights and it measured i was exactly 3kilos heavier, so its decently spot on,ill assume its accurate after doing that little test
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My WW scales drive me crazy!!!! I weigh myself over and over until i get the same answer 3 times HAHAHA
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    Options
    My WW scales drive me crazy!!!! I weigh myself over and over until i get the same answer 3 times HAHAHA

so the WW scales sound like abit of a fail then lol
    how annoying to have to triple check! that would drive me insane! lol
  • Rachiepie6
    Options
    Maybe it's time to try the wii board then.. :)
  • Rachiepie6
    Options
    Hopped on the wii this morning, then straight onto my digital scales, 0.8kg difference (from memory)
    then I had breakfast, and weighed again in the nuddy, and got exact same number as wii...
    so either my brekky and my clothes weigh the same and the first read was wrong or.. god knows...
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Some of the newer digital scales also show body fat, muscle mass... love mine.. :)

i have one that does just that. i prefer digital as those ounces do make a hell of a difference