Spicing up brown rice?

Options
I'm planning my meals for the week, and I'm having brown rice a couple of the days and I'm just wondering how to spice it up without it tasting so bland. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I mix it with grilled chicken, or tuna fish, and vegetables...I eat that for lunch several days a week.
  • stormbaby
    stormbaby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I sometimes cook it using stock, instead of just water :)
  • discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i add crushed red pepper and a dash of seasoning salt. sometimes i use lemon pepper. then i eat it with fish or chicken as a side dish
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I've found cooking it in chicken or vegetable broth makes it taste really good, and much different. You can also throw in things like raisins, pine nuts, or other spices to change up the flavor a little.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Spices. Smoked paprika, cayenne, chili powder. Yummm... Salsa. Better Than Bouillon Reduced-Sodium Chicken Base.
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This is what I was looking for. If I have the bouiloun cubes do you I make that according to directions and then for the brown rice use the amount of chicken broth I just made in place of the water?
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    Cook it in a good, low sodium chicken broth/stock
    I love curry in rice
    jasmine makes it tasty
    try allrecipes.com for tons of ideas
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I have the solution. I eat brown rice even though I hate it..and I eat it daily!

Tuna fish
    Brown rice
    Tuong Ot Sriracha (THHEEEE BEST sauce I have ever tasted and low in sodium and calories)
    Low sodium teriyaki

I have eaten this 5 times a week for the past 6 months. Low calories and a fat shredder.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I have the solution. I eat brown rice even though I hate it..and I eat it daily!

Tuna fish
    Brown rice
    Tuong Ot Sriracha (THHEEEE BEST sauce I have ever tasted and low in sodium and calories)
    Low sodium teriyaki

I have eaten this 5 times a week for the past 6 months. Low calories and a fat shredder.
  • stormbaby
    stormbaby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is what I was looking for. If I have the bouiloun cubes do you I make that according to directions and then for the brown rice use the amount of chicken broth I just made in place of the water?

Pretty much, although I would suggest using a little less water than usual (maybe 3/4) so that not too much of the flavour of the stock cubes is lost when you drain the rice. That's just my personal preference though.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    Salsa. Canned tomatoes. I'll use some memories of thailand spicy pepper sauce sometimes.
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice as it is. But these are great ideas.
  • bruthacuervo
    bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    look at my food diary---

staple food for me as well

go to walmart and get a BUNCH of no salt added diced tomato.

a pack of pecan smoked sausage (or choose your meat of choice)

sometimes ill add 1/4 of an onion.. jalapenos... anaheim peppers... depends on the mood.

slice the sausage in half, take the 1/4th onion and i throw it in a cast iron skillet

half a can of the diced tomatos- added to rice (1/2 uncooked measured) and the meat/veggie mix

season with crushed red pepper, mrs dash table mix, pepper, and cayenne pepper (to taste-- i make mine extra spicy, as the extra spicy tends to curb any thought of overeating.)

depending on what you do youve got a 280-300 calorie meal (mine comes in at about 300-400 sodium) for about 15 buck you can make about 2 weeks worth of lunches with it., and the total prep time on this is LESS than 10 minutes, making it ideal for snacks or when someone ELSE you know has just ordered a damn stuffed crust pizza and you KNOW you cant eat it... hehe)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ashleyk_xox
    ashleyk_xox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    simmer it in low sodium chicken broth with canned tomatoes, diced green peppers, minced garlic, diced onions, and cumin. :) little bit of red pepper if you like it really spicy.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I like to just add seasoning salt, like Season All.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    try chicken stock instead of water, you can make it mexican style too. just fry a little bit of onion and garlic, toss in teh rice, cook with stock and add a small can of tomato sauce over and let it cook!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Add some veggies, Cayenne pepper or chili powder.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Pretty much, although I would suggest using a little less water than usual (maybe 3/4) so that not too much of the flavour of the stock cubes is lost when you drain the rice. That's just my personal preference though.
    You drain your rice...?
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options

drain rice??!!!! woah, never heard of that before!!!

not directed at you per se, but just in general for everyone who cooks rice, its usually 2 cups per 1 cup of rice, but i find brown rice needs a longer time so more water to cook or else its pretty firm.

and for the bouillon you can use it in place of th water, i think its 1 cube per 2 cups boiling water?? still may want to add a pinch of salt though...just taste the water, if its salty enough then your rice should be salty enough