Should I wait until I lose some belly fat to do abs?

Options
Hello, I know I won't get abs if I have that layer of fat over my belly, so do I continue to do them during my regular workout routine or should I refrain for the time being?

Now that I've started the thread, I feel like I might know the answer: I should do it anyway because building those muscles will also help burn calories?

I'd like some input anyway, if possible. Thank you!

EDIT: Also, will my belly look bulky if I'm building up all this muscle underneath my fat? Lastly, what are some good workouts for less bulk and more tone?

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    A long long time ago I had defined ABS from running and a low Cal diet. So yeah losing fat should be the priority.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You absolutely need to do your abs.. it's vital that you keep your core strong, especially if you are carrying extra weight. If you want *defined* abs, then lean down at the same time, but don't stop exercising your abs just because you can't see them.
  • matthewdill83
    Options
    You absolutely need to do your abs.. it's vital that you keep your core strong, especially if you are carrying extra weight. If you want *defined* abs, then lean down at the same time, but don't stop exercising your abs just because you can't see them.

Perfectly explained.. Right now, if you have weight to lose, doing crunches and sit ups isnt about definition.. Its about getting your core strong, and that will help in tons of daily activities and exercises you do..
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Also you aren't going to be building muscle on a calorie deficit. So no you wont look bulky
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I posted this question a few months ago when I started doing strength training exercises. A few people said I should still do it to build up my core, which would be beneficial to other strength exercises, balance, posture, and even cardio. I can honestly say that they were 100 percent correct and it has helped my form/endurance on many exercises I do.
  • JINJA422
    JINJA422 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you build muscles, the fat layer will go down, so you won't look "bulky." My mid-section is by far the "healthiest" area of me. I do crunches and reverse crunches after running. I don't feel like I've been building muscles (although the crunches are getting easier), but my belly has definitely gotten smaller, quicker than the rest of my bod which is what I was aiming for.
  • matthewdill83
    Options
    Also you aren't going to be building muscle on a calorie deficit. So no you wont look bulky

Thats not entirely true.. I mean im on a huge calorie deficit, but ive seen obvious upper body muscle gain since ive been on my diet..
    Options

Thats not entirely true.. I mean im on a huge calorie deficit, but ive seen obvious upper body muscle gain since ive been on my diet..

how so?
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    Any form of exercise you do isn't going to hurt. If it burns calories and builds muscle it's going to help. Though crunches aren't the best exercise out there. Do them for a while. If you like the result, keep doing them, if you don't like the result, find something else to do.
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    Calories don't build muscle or feed muscle growth, protein does. You can get plenty of protein for healthy and consistent muscle growth without consuming a large number of calories. It's not a matter of how many calories you consume but what you get those calories from.

One thing I've noticed about this website is the huge amount of erroneous information, Some even dangerous information. Do your own research folks, it's out there and it's easy to find. Call your doc if you're in doubt, they'll answer your questions. Visit a nutritionists. one that's actually licensed. Educate yourselves, don't take others advice at face value.

Most advice is simply personal opinion slightly reworded. If you can't back it up with a reputable source it's not worth a thing.
    Options
    Calories don't build muscle or feed muscle growth, protein does. You can get plenty of protein for healthy and consistent muscle growth without consuming a large number of calories. It's not a matter of how many calories you consume but what you get those calories from.

One thing I've noticed about this website is the huge amount of erroneous information, Some even dangerous information. Do your own research folks, it's out there and it's easy to find. Call your doc if you're in doubt, they'll answer your questions. Visit a nutritionists. one that's actually licensed. Educate yourselves, don't take others advice at face value.

Most advice is simply personal opinion slightly reworded. If you can't back it up with a reputable source it's not worth a thing.

Yea that's not true at all. And i certainly have done my research. Protein isnt all that builds muscle. You need a surplus of calories too. You aren't going to be building muscle on a low calorie diet just because you have protein

*facepalm*
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options

Agree and my trainer agrees as well. I have a lot more muscle now then when I started.
  • Rain_Howard
    Options

Yea that's not true at all. And i certainly have done my research. Protein isnt all that builds muscle. You need a surplus of calories too. You aren't going to be building muscle on a low calorie diet just because you have protein

*facepalm*

Good luck to you. In life and weight loss. I think you'll need it.
    Options

*facepalm*

Good luck to you. I life and weight loss. I think you'll need it.

Lol and why is that exactly?
    Options

Agree and my trainer agrees as well. I have a lot more muscle now then when I started.

Is he doing it by a caliper test by chance?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

*facepalm*

Sunshine is amazing and beautiful and has done quite amazingly in her weight loss actually! Maybe you should check out her progress pics, she is an inspiration to me! So NO I do not think she will need it.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

*facepalm*

Sunshine is amazing and beautiful and has done quite amazingly in her weight loss actually! Maybe you should check out her progress pics, she is an inspiration to me! So NO I do not think she will need it.

Same here. I have exactly zero idea what this guy thinks he's talking about.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

Please provide your reputable sources...would love to have a swing at this
    Options
    I love you guys!

Also if you disagree with me then read this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-mistakes.html

If you can tell me Lyle McDonald is wrong, then you have lost all credibility
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Please provide your reputable sources...would love to have a swing at this

I'd like to see those as well.