RESULTS? HOW LONG :/

Options
So I did just start my dieting but even though I know
everyone's different I wanted to know how long was it before
you folks started seeing results? I don't wanna be discouraged
But shoot me some number thanks so much guys!

Replies

• Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    A month to six weeks before i noticed anything substantial.
  • mailoveschayzen
    Options
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I believe if you have the balance exactly right you should notice results almost daily in terms of scale movement. Definitely you should lose in a week if you have it right. Don't wait for results for six weeks as it will be a waste of time if you find you haven't got anywhere in that time.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Almost immediately starting seeing lbs. go away but it took months to drop jeans sizes. Now it's moving much quicker between sizes. I skipped 14s altogether.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for about 7 weeks now, I'm fitting clothes I never used to and, just today as I hit the 10lb down mark, I started to get "You look like you've lost weight!" from workmates :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    A month to six weeks before i noticed anything substantial.

Yeah, same here. That first month I actually felt like I gained a little. The scale said I lost like 0.2 pounds, though. Still, it wasn't until the second month of trudging along that the "real" losses started coming in.

A lot of this can be explained by water weight gain. When we start exercising, we often retain water which floods our muscles to aid in muscle repair during DOMS. It can take up to 2 months to go away. Of course, some people that I am jealous of only go through this phase for a week or so. The soreness may go away in a day or 2, but the water retention doesn't necessarily go away with the soreness.
  • JRhinoC
    Options
    I believe if you have the balance exactly right you should notice results almost daily in terms of scale movement. Definitely you should lose in a week if you have it right. Don't wait for results for six weeks as it will be a waste of time if you find you haven't got anywhere in that time.

Um, no. What you do today will not show tomorrow (Excluding water loss/retention and waste waiting to be expelled). I'm pretty sure it's actually 3-5 days out, possibly longer. Your body needs time to process what is going on. And 6 weeks is not an unreasonable amount of time for your body to adjust and begin showing results of a significant lifestyle change.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

That may be true if you are dieting without the exercise, but because of the physiological process of DOMS, this is not really true for those of us starting new exercise programs...especially programs that include rigorous weight lifting.

Case in point, when I did P90X, I did not lose anything at all in Phase 1 which lasts a whole month. BUT, I was getting smaller and losing inches all over. So I didn't worry about the scale. In Phase 2 which is the second whole month, I lost 10 pounds. I lost even more than that in Phase 3. I *was* doing everything right. If I had stopped during Phase 1, I would not have lost all the weight throughout the entire program that I did, and I would have gotten more depressed about the scale which is not necessary.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I began Dec. 2009 and in the 1st week I lost 30 lbs. Being nearly 500 lbs. and diabetic at the time I quit soda cold turkey. So I knew it was lots of water weight. About 4 months I began noticing clothes and feeling more fit. Able to walk 1 mile w/o taking rest breaks. It's been a long journey but well worth it. I think above all patience is key. You lack patience, you'll get demotivated, then sad and well I've seen it alot here and it's rarely pretty :frown: Fortunately for me, patience is easy.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on your body shape.... and how much you have to lose.... but I started seeing small changes in a couple of weeks..... mostly clothes just not quite so tight and I could MOVE easier....

stick with it.... don't think of it as an overnight fix... this is a process of learning to really manage YOU and it can take some time but if you stick with it and keep asking for help.... you will get there :) .....