Eliptical Trainer - Your time/distance?

Options
Hi mfp's :o) I've been using my trainer for a while now but am not sure if the time/distance settings are right on it or not. My friend thinks not comparing it to her own times.

For example. I just did 25 mins & it says i covered 8.2 k (i was going between 20 & 25 k/p/h according to the timer). Does this sound wrong to u?? How far/what time do u get? Ty

Replies

• talk2tiff
    talk2tiff Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sorry, 9.2k in 25 mins!
  • talk2tiff
    Options
    I forgot to say - i reckon i go at a moderate-fast pace. At 20kph mod & 25kph fairly fast. Does this sounds right?? I have nothing to go on bcos i dnt go 2 the gym only train at home. Hellp!
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    I don't have a quick answer (6:25 am here - too early for math) but one thing you can do is measure the stride on your elliptical and then figure out how many strides you take in a km. Then you can double check your distance using your steps/strides. My cheapo elliptical doesn't even give me distance so that's how I have to figure out distance! If you're lucky your elliptical user manual will tell you the length of the stride. Hope this helps a bit.

Oh and I get about 4000-4400 steps in 30 minutes depending on pace and I think I figured it to be about 2 miles, which is about 3.2 km (right??)
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    The elliptical will also vary greatly do the ramp angle/height as well. Not sure, I don't exactly follow those figures when I do the elliptical. Just my times exercising.
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The distance does sound wrong. I did about 30 min on the elliptical the other day, and my distance was 3.62 km.
  • elissascotland
    elissascotland Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I looked at this for myself last week. I usually just do 20 mins on the eliptical.

This past week I started looking at the distance.

One day I did 5k in 30 mins, another day I did 6k in 30 mins. I seem to recall that the average speed I was at was about 10-14kph, so that seems to fit in with what you are finding.

My calorie burn was similar on both occasions, about 240 according to my HRM.
  • mrdee555
    mrdee555 Posts: 178
    Options
    Yea i done 25 mins this morning and it was about 3km at a good pace, i know guys who go for an 65mins every morn and do approx 13k on same machine, your figures a defo out imo
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with these ppl. I do 33min on 1 with a HR avg of 160 or highier and only get a 5k or lil more. i will check mine today and post this evening for u.
  • talk2tiff
    Options
    Thank u so much for clearing that up for me! Bit annoying, i did get the trainer off ebay. Oh well, it does the job still just wld be nice 2 know what i'm doing! cheers again x
  • talk2tiff
    Options
    Does it sound like it's doubling up for some reason?? I did 9.3k in 25 mins = that would be 4.65k!