MIGRAINES

Hi, anybody else suffer with these horrible headaches and what do you find helps. I was hoping that losing weight and exercising would help, but im still suffering. Anyone got any advice or tips to help prevent them!? Thanks for reading.

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    I tend to get them during my time of month,but have learned some of the triggers and can usually tell when one is "lurking". I take Excedrin, which seems to be the one thing that really helps for me.

If they are new to you, or you've noticed a change in the patterns or triggers though, it probably wouldn't hurt to see your doctor and get everything checked out. Some people need to be on prescription medications to control migraines...
  • Anweena
    Anweena Posts: 45 Member
    I have had them since I was 12. Imitrex (prescription) is the only thing that helps. They are way too bad for over the counter, or herbal/alternative meds. I have a headache (not migraine) almost every single day.
  • janeitg
    janeitg Posts: 33 Member
    I had them from caffeine withdrawal. I'd try tracking to see if there is a relationship between what you are eating or what is happening in your life. For an allergy problem you would probably need to see a dr. Good luck to you.
  • I have had migraines my whole life....there are family pictures of me under a buffet table because the dark helped with my migraine. I recently have been diagnosed with a whole slew of endocrine system issues, particularly hypothyroid. They said it would take 30 days for the hormone to take, and since that point I have not had a single migraine. I would have 2-3 min. a week prior. Might be something to check out as well as make sure your eyesight is ok. The only other thing(s) I can think of is maybe make sure you are getting enough fluids and maybe check out a chiropractor in case something is out of alignment.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    I have also found a healthy diet, exercising and losing weight have not helped my migraines. I don't like taking a lot of medicines, so I usually try to manage mine without. My go to method is to stay in a dark, quiet room with a warm, wet washcloth over my face. I can't do that all day because I have a 2 year old to run after, but I do feel much better when I am able to. I usually take a couple of days to bounce back from one. They are no fun at all, sorry.

ETA: If you haven't already, you should Google "migraine trigger foods" and see if any of them are regularly part of your diet. Things like aspartame and nitrates can cause them and by removing those foods you could find some relief.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Horrible things. I have had them forever. They have really good medications out if you talk to your dr. Tried maxalt but couldn’t function on it. Zomig is amazing for me if I catch it in the right phase (ie just as I get the aura). Massage, meditation and acupuncture really help. A frozen sock with two tennis balls tied tightly in the toe on the back of your neck with a frozen eye bag over your eyes, lights out for 20 min sure helps in an emergency. Keep a journal and really watch stress and food triggers.
  • I so deeply empathize w/ you- I still suffer from them, but not nearly as often- as it took a LONG time to unlock the "triggers" for me....
    and there were MANY- erratic B/P, caffeine, MSG (monosodium glutatmate), and hormonal swings ( usually 7-10 days AFTER T.O.M.)

I use 100 % pure peppermint oil to ward them off- applied topically to my forehead, temples, sometimes behind ears and back of neck. I get it from GNC- but most health food stores carry it.

The fumes are potent- and because it's an oil, you MUST be careful not to get it too close to your eyes (remove contacts)
    and wash hands thoroughly after application.

It is a MUST for me- I still sometimes end up in the ER for an Imitrex shot, but if I can catch it right at the onset- and keep applying it- and lay down in dark room w/ eyes covered, I am almost always successful in breaking it after a few hours- instead of days...

But- check your food sources- Nutrasweet and MSG are HUGE known triggers ( the MSG generally doesn't trigger one for 12-24 hrs later, so it took me a while to figure out it was the culprit)

Best Wishes to you! They are NO fun, and so debilitating.
  • Thanks for your replies, i take sumatriptan when one starts, it helps but sometimes i get them on after another and can go on for 3/4 days. I used to think chocolate could be a cause but since losing weight can't blame that. One day someone might invent a miracle cure! Until that happens you all take care.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Btw medication can be a very important component because what it does is stabilize the blood vessels in the head when the blood starts to pump through (that’s the pain portion of a migraine). That can save damage to the vessels thus saving you a stroke. A migraine isn’t just uncomfortable it’s a health issue.

Edit to add that there is a really big difference between a migraine and a headache. A headache is a pain in your head and poses no health risk that we know of. A migraine is an interuption in blood flow to part of the brain and can create a substantial health risk. Triggers are different for everybody and you probably have more than one. A migraine journal really helps.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    That's interesting that migraines have been brought up! I've never been a headache kind of person. (Unless I wait too long to eat, which I really try to avoid.) Anyway I've been having them for about a month now. I never really thought a lot about migraines and heard that a lot of people have them. Wow! you learn a whole new perspective on what a migraine is after having one though.

Mine is a really sharp pain behind my left eye. Light is crazy sensitive- one day I was wearing sunglasses on the computer. ha Noise is really extra loud and I was really sensitive to smells. I was trying to get some tylenol out of the bottle and the pills were sooooooo loud. It hurt my head to hear them in the bottle. One day I could smell my mascara while putting it on. I didn't know mascara had a scent. I've never smelled it in the past I guess.

I've been taking excederin migraine now to stay on top of it. It's nice that it lasts 24 hrs. I have much more respect for migrain sufferers now that I've experienced them. Hopefully once life settles down here they will go away.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    One day I could smell my mascara while putting it on. I didn't know mascara had a scent. I've never smelled it in the past I guess.

Funny...I always think I can smell fish-food (like the kind in those cardboard cans) before one comes on. Marijuana is a trigger too...(smelling it...like at a concert)....
  • Anweena
    Anweena Posts: 45 Member
    My friend just posted this on FB saying she had super results with it. She tried Magnelevures. Anyway, I am skeptical, but maybe they will work for someone! She goes to a naturopathic doctor who recommended them
  • DawnJanette
    DawnJanette Posts: 36 Member
    Dieting made my migraines worse....

So i looked at my diary and was able to find out that it was tomatos that were causing it as I was eating more salads. It wasnt instant like it is with chocolate, but the headache comes the following day or later the same day. I suspected it might be and tried different things to cut out. Things definitely improved without tomatos

I stopped them from my diet and the migraines are now every few months. I can eat cooked tomotos so have worked out that its the skins that cause it.

I would have a look carefully and you food (and your stress levels & exercise/posture) and try to work out what the triggers are.....