November isNational Adoption Month

Options
nakabi
nakabi Posts: 589 Member
November is National Adoption Month!!!

Anyone care to post if you are adopted, how old you were when you were adopted, and if you would adopt if you had the choice.

I was 8 when I was adopted and I would definitely adopt!!

Replies

• My parents adopted my baby sister from guatamala when she was 10 months and I was 15(: I would absolutely adopt. I think it's so wonderful(:(:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It might be something I would consider after I am past my 'child bearing' years. I know I would get through the procedures and end up pregnant at the same time and have too much going on! My father in law recently adopted 2 kids out of the foster care system, and I could see doing that when my kids are older and ready to leave the house.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Would adopt. Can't afford it. My mother-in-law is adopted (she was given up as a toddler along with her brother in the 1950s).
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I have a huge amount of respect for parents who adopt. I also have a huge amount of respect for parents who choose to place their child up for adoption for selfless reasons.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I am adopted. I was 3 months old.

What are we supposed to do to commemorate adoption month?
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Im adopted. Was given up shortly after birth and adopted when I was 6 weeks old. I have since met my biological dad and FULL biological sister. Shes my twin in nearly every way. Thats really freaky for someone whos never seen another person that looks like them. :laugh: I hope some day I can meet our mom.... theres a lot going on there. Id like to just tell her thank you. I consider what she did for me one of the highest forms of love.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i was adopted by my stepfather at 17 years old, i would definitely adopt
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I'm not adopted, but I placed my daughter up for adoption when I was 17. It is an open adoption, I chose her family, and I have stayed in touch with her throughout the years. Her adopted dad is actually a major supplier for us at work, so I see them quite frequently now, and I love it, as does she! I have 6 year old twins that now have a relationship with their half-sister, as well. I love the way the adoption was handled, and I know she's had a great life! I wouldn't change a thing about it if I had it to do over again. And yes, if ever I wanted more children, I would definitely consider adoption!!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    P.S. We're not having our own kids (can but decided not to). FINALLY met someone last week who shares my views (it's so rare to be married and not want kids but instead have a desire to adopt). :)
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I have a huge amount of respect for parents who adopt. I also have a huge amount of respect for parents who choose to place their child up for adoption for selfless reasons.
    I agree! The sole reason I had for placing my daughter was simply because my job, as her mother, was to give her the best life possible. I was 17 (my pregnancy was a result of a rape) and I knew I couldn't provide for her the things she needed, but another family could. She's had an amazing and blessed life. I couldn't have asked for anything better for her!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I am not adopted, but I have cousins who were adopted from Guatemala, Vietnam and Africa.

If I had the funds, adoption is definitely something I would consider.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My daughter is adopted. A great big thank you to her bio mom for realizing what was best for her. My daughter is definitely the best part of "me". And, funny but everyone who doesn't know that she's adopted has always said "wow, your daughter looks *just* like you!". God mixed her up just for us, I think.

Every day is a celebration of Adoption at our house. :love:

P.S. We spent very little money adopting our daughter. We adopted her through the foster care system. And, while it was a long & tedious process, she was totally worth the wait!
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence about whether I want any more children (I have one). But if I do, adoption is the way I'm going for sure. It's a beautiful thing all around.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    This week marks 2 years since my grand-daughters were placed with us for adoption.

L. was 6 months old, and had health issues from being born an addicted, 30 wk. 3-pound preemie. C. was 3, and could tell us how to load a "rig" (a hypodermic needle for opiate injection) and how and where to inject it. She had many behavioral issues typical of kids raised in substance-abusing families, some of which will require life-long therapy.

We finalized early this year. They are now happy, healthy, romping kids. Safety and security (and a boat-load of love and affection) has allowed them to mostly forget the things they experienced.

I'm glad every morning, when I see their smiling faces, that we were in a position to give them a loving home when they so desperately needed one. Had we not, they would have went into Open Adoption, and they might have never known how very much we love them.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I was adopted at 4 days old and so was my older brother. My adoptive parents could not have children. My birthmom and birthdad were only 15 and not ready to care for a child. I'm so happy I was adopted because there is no telling where I would be now if I wasn't. I talk to my birthmom but she is not a stable person and has moved from man to man... 2 other kids with 2 different guys and wasn't married to either of them. And she is having marital problems with her current husband so not sure how much longer that relationship will last. She is more like a friend to me. I'm glad she is a part of my life and I'm happy to know my 2 other half sisters. I just know I am where I need to be and I have the best adoptive parents a girl could ask for!

And yes, I would definitely adopt!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to foster-to-adopt within the next 10-20 years. No rush, but that's always been a dream of mine.

I know that it will be a looooong road, but I also know that it will be worth it. I want to adopt older kids, siblings if possible.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    My parents are adopting. I'm 22 and FINALLY getting a brother, I'm so excited!

ETA, I'm obviously in favor of it, I hope to adopt someday.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My older brother was given up for adoption three years before I was born. I met him when I was 18. And he's a full brother, not half.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I'm not adopted, but I would like to adopt when financially ready.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I would love to adopt, but it seems impossible to find a man who is ok with it. All the ones i've dated all say they want a son with their blood....:ohwell: