Size...it is just a reference number

Options
I have posted replies to some topics in the past about how the sizing of woman's clothing here in the US is all just a reference number. That when shopping we should just consider it a place to start trying on clothing -- by itself the number is NOT a reflection of us. Well I got a real test of this this weekend. I decided to make my dress for the Christmas Dinner/Dance this year. Not an issue, I have made evening wear before and sewn for years. I picked out a Vogue "Advanced" pattern that I think is a Knock-out...so does my DH. I double checked my current measurements prior to purchasing the pattern just to be sure as I had not bought a Vogue in years. I was standing in the store in a pair of size 6 jeans -- tailored down to about a 4 1/2, a Petit small sweater, with a Petit medium jacket (that felt a little large) and wearing a size 34D bra that fit very comfortably. According to the pattern sizing chart, in Vogue I am at least a size...
wait for it ...

Yes, you read that right -- a size 14. I have never worn a size 14 in ready to wear in my life! The largest size I ever owned for any manufacturer was a size 12. I was shocked! I took the measurements three times...I bought the size 14 pattern, and I am now in the process of making a fabric mock-up of the dress to use for fitting purposes. And everytime I think about it, I remind myself -- the number is just a reference place to start from...

Thougth you would all enjoy the giggle.

Replies

• laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    That's rediculous! Must be a teen size. What is the world coming too?

6143704.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    let me know how it works out.
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing- it's a great new perspective!
  • Purecity
    Purecity Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thats insane. Clothing tags are totally only a reference number. It is ridiculous how teenie-tiny everything has become. I'm very glad that you have not beaten yourself up over this because there are some out there who would have freaked out haha.

Be sure to post pictures as soon as you finish your dress! I'm sure it will look amazing :)
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    sizing is so irrelevant these days. I bought a pair of jeans about 3 weeks ago a size 10/30. They fit me perfectly and I was so excited to be a 10. I've never been a 10 in my entire adult life.

Then yesterday I went jean shopping again at Buffalo, which is a jean manufacturer I believe. I needed size 34/16 there! What a huge difference. I haven't worn size 16 for probably 6 months. I just laughed it off and went on to the next store, eventually getting a pair of size 31 jeans from a Bootlegger store. 3 different sizes, 3 different stores.

So, as we continue to stay on the "be fit" train, ignore sizing and just go for what fits and what looks good!!!
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    There are some pants that hang off of me that are 16s and some that are semi-fitting at 18s... I would personally be elated to be a size 14 in a vogue... I mean designers are crazy and want women that have no curve (whether musculature or hippish).... they don't even like models that have boobs... so it's good that you didn't feel bad because many people beat themselves up over the sizing of their clothes...
    BTW... I am small framed and even when I was in great shape in the military, a size 8 or 10 was small for me... it is all body type and clothing manufacturer I think.
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I mean designers are crazy and want women that have no curve (whether musculature or hippish)....

What is it about all these stupid low rise pants these days!!!! God! It is so frustrating to try on jeans that only come up half way up the crack of my *kitten*!!!!! I have a butt, I have hips, let's keep em covered people!!!!!
  • jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That is one of the reasons I have hung onto some of my OLD patterns - I have already altered them so they fit. I do know what you mean about sizes though - in one store I wear a 2; in another I wear an 8! Sure wish we could buy clothes sized like our guys, by measurements instead of some arbitrary size! looking forward to a photo. And, I really know you can do this - have seen lots of your work.