PCOS and Hair Loss

Options
Hey all,

I have been recently diagnosed with PCOS and have lost more than 50% of my hair volume in past few months... so much so that I can see the scalp from my hair in the area above my forehead...

I went and met a doctor and she told me to start using a 2% minoxidil foam twice a day... and also told me that this will help me to avoid losing hair further but probably I will never get the hair that I have already lost ! Is it true ?? :(

There are so many options available in market claiming huge results... laser combs, medicines, gels, shampoos, etc ... the list is endless. I am confused !

What do you do to recover or reverse the hair loss in case of PCOS ? Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance ppl.

Luv,
Sophie

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i would eat as healthy as possible , i don't think eating under 1200 a day is going to help you to lose weight or stay healthy it is possible to lose weight even with PCOS , ( i know a young lady who lost over 100lbs after being told she had PCOS)
    really you are putting your health at risk by not eating enough..

good luck on your journey
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Your hair looks so pretty in the pictures. I know exactly what your going through. I'm totally going to be the type to wear wigs if it ever comes to it lol. I think the best thing we can do is to keep our PCOS under control as much as we can by taking our medication and eating the right foods for our condition. Take Vitamins. Search online for ways to prevent or treat hair loss. That's best we can do. it's probably something that we can't prevent or stop, as negative as that sounds its just how it is for us. But i try to not lose hope and do everything i can to save my hair. Currently I'm using vitamin enriched shampoos and trying to not pull my hair up in pony tails all time so it doesn't brake. And taking multi Vitamins sometimes even prenatal even tho im not prego it really does wonders for hair growth

GOOD LUCK!
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I feel your pain!!! I have a thyroid issue and my dr. thinks pcos. I have lost a ton of hair too. I shed so much hair everyday- it freaks me out !!
    Anyway, I guess we will never really know about the future of our hair, but for now I have added some things to my lifestyle:
    *Biotin (vitamin in pill form)
    *Evening Primrose Oil (supplement in pill form)
    *Eat more iron (dr. suggested raisins daily, spinach as much as possible, liver once a week because I don't eat beef, otherwise eat a steak once a week)
    *Use Nioxin Shampoo and Conditioner to help with volume (it will not make your hair grow, but it does make it look fuller)

I hope this helps. Feel free to message me and/or add me.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Hi there,

I feel your pain!!! I have a thyroid issue and my dr. thinks pcos. I have lost a ton of hair too. I shed so much hair everyday- it freaks me out !!
    Anyway, I guess we will never really know about the future of our hair, but for now I have added some things to my lifestyle:
    *Biotin (vitamin in pill form)
    *Evening Primrose Oil (supplement in pill form)
    *Eat more iron (dr. suggested raisins daily, spinach as much as possible, liver once a week because I don't eat beef, otherwise eat a steak once a week)
    *Use Nioxin Shampoo and Conditioner to help with volume (it will not make your hair grow, but it does make it look fuller)

I hope this helps. Feel free to message me and/or add me.

GREAT TIPS!
  • mvilla2426
    Options
    When I began taking DepaKote several years ago I was told it led to hair loss. My doctors told me to use a shampoo containing Selenium. These are found in SOME (not all) dandruff shampoos. If you look for Head and Shoulders, get the clinical strength in the all dark blue container. Although you will need some sort of conditioner if you use it, at least I do. Good Luck.