Water intake - does the flavored stuff with zero calories co

Options
Roni_M
Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
Water is my biggest struggle! I know we are supposed to aim for 8 glasses a day...but I really don't like water! I need it to have a taste! I'm a sipper and am constantly drinking something. I've recently switched to a zero calorie flavored water. Should I log this the same as regular water? Does it matter as long as I'm staying well hydrated?

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It does count towards your water.
  • dobijata
    dobijata Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thats an interesting question...cause I have the same problem.
    I hate water.
    I only drink zero stuff.
    Since last week I mix it with water..so I think its a bit more healthy.
    And the taste is ok.
    Normaly you shouldnt drink it, I know, cause you get more hungry of
    sugar.
    But...well...water...ewwwwww.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You're going to get two sides to this. Do a search and you'll see what I mean. Technically, every beverage contains water to some degree, for most it's the first ingredient, and you can count pretty much anything except alcohol as a part of your water intake.

I've seen some here say that coffee doesn't count, but if I ate the beans and drank the water, couldn't I count the water? Same goes for tea or virtually anything else.

Short answer: count your flavored water if you wish.
  • janeitg
    janeitg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I drink Celestial Seasonings tea, no calories, nothing in it up flavoring and I count it as water.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes. But then again, I also count water that I add the crystal light or on-the-go packets to. I just also happen to add the calories from those packets to my calories for the day. So basically, if you want to count it, then go for it!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says to count any liquid you drink (except alcohol) toward your water intake. I rarely drink anything but water but when I do I count it.
  • latinahada
    Options
    I say YES!! I use Mio & LOVE LOVE LOVE it :)
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I agree that it counts as water intake. have you tried a squeeze of lemon? also drink it with a straw, just gulp it down! :smile:
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    Water intake journaling after every meal, helps me recognize the importance of hydration!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I flavor almost all of my water and I count it. I really like a flavoring sold at Target - Archer Farms brand, sweetened with Stevia. I like the flavor better than the Crystal Light stuff. It's not zero calories, though, it's 10 cal per packet so I do log those 10 calories each time I use one.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! You just want to make sure that half of it is plain water, especially when you exercise.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Yes. Any beverage counts toward your water intake, to be honest. The recommended 8 glasses a day actually includes water found in your food as well. If you don't believe me, do some research yourself. I'm also recovering from bulimia, and I've met with several nutritionists and dietitians -- they've all said the same thing. So, yes, your flavored water counts. Diet coke counts. Coffee counts. However, I will admit that as a diet coke drinker, I keep my water counter only tracking water. I shoot for a certain number of cups of water, and then get the rest of my fluid intake from whatever else.
  • Roni_M
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! The bottle's nutritional info has all zeros except for sodium. I drink about 3 of these a day which would be about 6 cups. When you add the sodium up it's 180mg for the day. I don't have any sodium related issues (blood pressure is low). I was able to scan it into my diary so wasn't sure. It's the Life brand pomegranate berry stuff. Right now my water intake diary is all zeros! LOL. :smile:
  • montiy
    montiy Posts: 32
    Options
    Two things that might be helpful to you:

1) Remember that you need to drink eight CUPS of water (not eight GLASSES). Some glasses are actually 1 1/2 or 2 cups of water, so take the size of your glasses of water into account -- that'll help you out a lot!

2) I count anything that is non-caffeinated into my count. I also prefer something flavored, so I drink unsweetened (and decaffeinated) tea. There are a lot of flavors of decaf and herbal teas which are very good...so I just stick a jug of water into the fridge and put two teabags into it (you might want more, if you like stronger tea). Anyway, if you do like tea, this is a great option -- gives a taste to your water, and gives you some variety...and it's easy to always have something around. I usually go through at least a jug a day, and getting my 8 cups of "water" hasn't been a problem.

Hope that helps!
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    That's exactly how i get my water. i hate it plain in large quantities. i don't buy zero calorie water but instead fill up a 33oz water bottle with cool water and use crystal light on the go packets . i record them (even though it's only five calories) and i don't find that i'm more thirsty or anything. there's also a new liquid flavor called Mio which is even better. it's a light flavor or a strong flavor, depending on how much you want to put in.
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes..IT Counts as water! I drink MIO from time to time and I count it as water. But I happen to really like water anyway. I know it's extremely impt to stay hydrated --esp if you are working out and esp if you are losing weight-- I don't want saggy skin too!--So hydration is EXTREMELY important. Can't say this enough. Best of luck to you!
  • shantillylace81
    Options
    Cafeteria at my job has fresh Lemons and a HUGE water machine with Massive cups so I fill it up once there and throw 4 lemon slices in. During the day I refill, since I have been doing this I have lost more weight. When I was doing Crystal Light I was not losing as quickly.
  • Roni_M
    Options
    I'm really kind of fussy with things I drink...it has to be something I can drink warm because I sip at it for an hour or better. I'm not a tea or citrus fan. I like more stuff if it's ice cold but finding something I still like when it's warm is a challenge. I've got two things I like now... The flavored water and the red G2. G2 is 40 calories per bottle and the flavored water is zero...so I'll mostly do the water. Lots of great suggestions though...and I may try some for my girls (one is a huge tea fan!). Thanks for the input! It's great to have this support group! =)
  • Kelly50054
    Options
    I only drink water because I like it and it helps flush toxins and fat. I do not use anything in it, because I am really concerned about all of the artifical ingredients they add to all those things. My suggestion is to research everything before you make a decision.