Need some help

Options
Hi guys,

I started using MFP 6 weeks ago and am looking for some advice. I am a married mum of 3 children, the youngest being 6 weeks old. So far the only exercise I have managed to fit in is walking to the school to collect my 11 & 9 year olds. Walking is pretty easy as I don't currently have a car but I'm looking for some other forms of exercise to mix it up a bit. I would love to go to the gym but my husband works until 10pm and the local gym does not have a creche that I can reasonably afford. Any help with this dilemma would be greatly appreciated. Please bear in mind that my fitness levels aren't wonderful.

Thanks for any help

Replies

• lmiller857
    lmiller857 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    you can try yoga or cardio boxing or even water aerobics
  • alib510
    alib510 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hi there! i have similar problems. i only work part time and have an 18month old daughter. i can't afford a gym membership or child care, but i use zumba on the wii and circuit training dvds. each of these can be done in 20 minutes bursts and i do get a good work out. i try to fit it in during my daughter's naps or i get up extra early on the days i go to work to fit 20-30mins in! hope that helps xxx
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I think you are a great candidate for NEAT:
    http://www.superkidsnutrition.com/nutrition_answers/nw_turnyour.php

I also think you are a great candidate for videos:
    you can buy cheap ones from eBay
    you can borrow ones for free from the library
    you can probably ask friends if they have any around that are collecting dust

Good luck! Add me, if you'd like.

Also, the walking to pick up your kids is great!! Can you try to pick up the pace? Can you swing your arms? Have you tried marching or skipping along? You can walk home in fun ways that will burn more calories, and will probably make the kids smile!
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Been there. Honestly getting into the gym is the hardest part and can be very stressful. You might want to look into some at home workout dvds that you can do either in the morning before everybody else is up, while you're older to are in school or in the evenings after the kids have gone to bed.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Walking is actually a great exercise! As long as you slowly increase your speed and/or distance, it's going to keep challenging your body. Start leaving the house a little ealier than you have to and walk a little bit past the school then double back to get the kiddos. Keep going a little further and further all the time and when you feel up to it, maybe even do some short sprints to really kick your heart rate up and burn the calories.

You can do some really simple strength training at home using your body weight - squats, lunges, push-ups, tricep dips, sit-ups, planks, jumping jacks, shadow boxing, leg lifts (several different ways), etc. Google for more ideas