Are Frozen Chips healthy ???

Options
I used always have frozen chips and now recently have been looking for a substitute (sp?) assuming that they are unhealthy but to my suprise they are really low on Calories?!??!!

But there has to be a catch right???

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Depends what your definition of "healthy" is.

Oven baked, they're not too bad at all really, certainly far better than deep fried.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Frozen chips of what?
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Oven baked aren't as bad as you would think. You can also make your own by chopping up a potato and then baking them.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    what are frozen chips?...like french fries? if so then just watch the fat and sodium
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    UK - Chip = Fries to you US people. Although they aren't "fries" in the sense they are "fried". They are normally oven baked chunks of potato. Not the stringy salty things you get from fast food joints.

15831011_H.jpg?identifier=55348beba23f6cbf7d48ebb920ebb559
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    Just because something is low in calories does not mean it is "healthy". Check the ingredients, and really if you have to ask yourself if it is healthy then you probably shouldn't be eating it :smile:
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    Just because something is low in calories does not mean it is "healthy". Check the ingredients, and really if you have to ask yourself if it is healthy then you probably shouldn't be eating it :smile:
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, personally, consider them healthy. I would think they are almost devoid of healthy nutrients. But, they would be lower in calories than deep fried and would be a healthiER choice.

The healthiest would be to make your own and keep the peels on (they take seconds to cut). Just spray a little Pam on them and add a little spice... And make sweet potato fries for the absolute healthiest choice in that avenue!!!

(an aside: If I could live solely on oven fries, I would, gladly!! I love potatoes in any way, shape or form!!)
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Hence my first comment on this thread.
    Depends on what you consider "healthy"

Everyone has difference thresholds.

And don't forget, not everything we eat HAS to be full of healthy nutrients.
  • jk_proonps3
    Options

Im confused?

and im kinda new to this whole eating healthy thing!

Low Cals = Healthy no?
  • jk_proonps3
    Options

Oven baked, they're not too bad at all really, certainly far better than deep fried.

Healthy = Low Cals basically

Unless there is a healthy althernative?
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    There is "healthy", and there is "healthier".

It depends on how far you want to take this and how much you are willing to sacrifice from your daily diet.

We have all types on these boards. Some, like me, try to alter as little as possible, just eat things in moderation, cut nothing out completely, and enjoy our food!

Others think anything that didn't have roots or a mother is the devil, and anything artificial AT ALL should be shunned and banished to the darkest corner of satan's wine cellar.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options

Healthy = Low Cals basically

Unless there is a healthy althernative?

Their healthy suggestion will most likely be that you make your own. But for time and convenience purposes they will do just fine. If you have more time then you can make your own.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Whether or not a food is "healthy" is meaningless outside the context of the overall diet.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Like anything though, as long as you don't eat them for every meal, 7 days a week, you'll be fine if you just watch your calories. I have oven chips 2-3 times a week with my midnight dinner, and it's never been a problem for me. :)
  • CLC900709
    CLC900709 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Frozen chips of what?
    ^^this. I'm confused
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, personally, consider them healthy. I would think they are almost devoid of healthy nutrients. But, they would be lower in calories than deep fried and would be a healthiER choice.

The healthiest would be to make your own and keep the peels on (they take seconds to cut). Just spray a little Pam on them and add a little spice... And make sweet potato fries for the absolute healthiest choice in that avenue!!!

(an aside: If I could live solely on oven fries, I would, gladly!! I love potatoes in any way, shape or form!!)

The potato skin is poisonous, why would anyone want to eat the Peels?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Healthy is in the eye of the beholder.

For someone that solely counts calories, healthy = low cal
    For a low carber, healthy = protein and fat
    For a raw eater, healthy = well, raw
    For a celiac sufferer, healthy = gluten free
    For a paleo eater, healthy = only food that existed for cavemen to eat

And the list goes on.

Most average MFPers look at a combo of calories vs the macro nutrients that the food is providing (carbs, proteins and fats). So while something like frozen white potatoes may be lower cal than other options, they are very high in carbs and don't provide a lot of nutrients other than potassium. So many people will see them as a less-healthy option than something like a sweet potato version of the same product which would be a slightly more complex carb and offer some additional vitamins and minerals.

But if something works for you and fits into your daily life/eating plan then that it ultimately all that matters.

Heck, to my mom, healthy means organic with no other insight on calories, fat or anything. She will actually call organic ice cream healthy, despite being loaded with calories and fat from from the whole cream used to make it. :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

The potato skin is poisonous, why would anyone want to eat the Peels?

I'm tired today and that throws off my sarcasm sensor. Joke, yes?
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Frozen chips of what?
    ^^this. I'm confused

If you read further down the thread, you'd see the picture i posted to explain it.