Fitness Test and Body Composition Assessment results and inf

Options
Had a pretty decent today.

In the military, we are routinely fitness tested.

In the Royal Air Force, we undergo a disclaimer followed by a calculation of BMI and they also take in to account waist circumference the Multi Stage Fitness Test (MSFT - Also known as the bleep test) immediately followed by 1 minute of press-ups and then 1 minute of sit-ups.

The MSFT consists of about 20m shuttle runs in time to a beep. You must make the lines before or by the beep. If you miss a beep you have 3 chances to catch it up before you're told to end the test. Each level lasts 1 minute but each level the frequency and thus number of shuttles per level, increases. There are strict standards to the press-ups and sit ups. On the press ups, the hands are to be placed no wider than shoulder width apart so basically hands directly beneath your shoulders. Arms must be bent to 90 degrees for it to count and the chest hit the counters fist which is raised approx. 8" off the ground, back flat, no sagging of the hips or bums in the air. As soon as form is lost, the counting stops. If you drop to your knees, the counting stops even if the minute isn't up. Males and females do the same form of press up, nobody does it on knees. The sit ups are fingers on temples and are not allowed to leave contact from them until the minute is up. Flicking of the hips will not count as a sit up and the elbows must go over the top of the knees.

Every component is a maximum effort.

Each component is graded depending on how well you perform - you score overall the lowest band for any one thing. So if for example you scored a low grade in the sit ups but high grade in both the run and the press ups... the grading of your sit ups would be the overall grade. SO it's in your interest to be consistent across the board and score as highly as possible.

Details on the levels for the grades (which are done in colour bands) are at this link for anyone interested and they DO relate to your gender and age.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:jHVYWTWqLbIJ:www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/D9E0A3C7_1143_EC82_2E3E762735D95037.doc+RAFFT+STandards&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShTcsmyVwB2_Dsnj5q3qRLPXVI2xQUI-96JTjuDvLSpun3scYWT5hD1qjsmpSH_h6it7G6VVP_qd3-pIfIsW0zbKO0M4r3gIUZal4RyhVa7-Z03u87WvEhSYr5Pzj1HGn_Z8iWR&sig=AHIEtbRHvZkCmkfQKBHS0iQKzaPYrFAEYg

To help make more sense of it, there are three pass levels. If you score in the GREEN band, you have passed. If you score GREEN overall then you will next have to retake your fitness test in 6 months time. HOWEVER! If you score Light Blue or Dark Blue overall, you will not have to retake the test for another year! So there's more incentive to stay fit!

Today, I scored (Female aged 23) level 9.01 on the MSFT, 29 pressups and 39 sit ups... OK... so they're not AMAZING results but they are pretty good! And tee-d up with the fact my ribs are broken - not a bad effort me-thinks! On top of that... my weight was 69Kg thats 151.8lbs to those using lbs! And my waist was 75 cm or 29.1" for those in imperial! My height has stayed the same! ;) at 174.5cm or around 5'8" ... needless to say with a BMI of about 22.66 I'm pretty happy with all today's results!

How do you compare? If better...how did you get there? If not quite there yet... can I help you get there!?!

Anyways! Just thought I'd share some news and be a little informative too! :)

Happy Monday all!

Please, if you haven't already, support the Royal British Legion and buy a poppy and wear it with pride to show your support for not just our current armed forces, but all those veterans that have given in times gone by for your freedom! It's Armistice day on Friday and Remembrance Sunday at the weekend!

Kind thoughts and regards,

Valentina ! xx

Replies

• kettch00
    Options
    I served with the 5 Scots and 7th Estonian Coy in Afghanistan. And the 2nd Royal Irish Commandos later on, then they were relieved by a Gurka Regiment, cant remembr the number. The Marines standards are similar here in America, to that of the Royal Commandos. Great job though!