Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

low carb/diabetic diet

okay.. gonna start trying to go super low carb (I wanna stay around 60-100 carbs a day) and eat between 1200-1500 calories a day.. for lunch i'm thinking sandwiches with raw veggies (I know bread is carby BUT just 35 calorie bread which usually has lower carbs) but run some ideas by me for breakfast and dinners and snacks. I'll eat eggs, but i'm not a HUGE fan..

(DO NOT REPLY IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING UGLY TO SAY! I know I need carbs, and I will eat some.. but my body DOES NOT PROCESS CARBS LIKE IT SHOULD)

Replies

• KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Check out dlife.com.

I'm a diabetic and as per my dietician's direction, have set my daily carbs at 80. I also think that this has been very helpful in my weightloss.

I usually have the majority of my carbs in the morning, actually. I'll have a whole grain english muffin or a granola bar, along with some fruit first thing in the am. Then for lunch & dinner, I'll usually have either a frozen dinner (my favorite is the Healthy Choice meals, but I'm expanding my horizons to other brands - Smart Ones, Michelina's Lean Gourmet, Lean Cuisine) or I'll make a recipe that I've found on dlife.

Seriously. dlife. check it. Know it. Love it. lol
  • Go check out DiabeticLivingOnline.com
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    You'll be fine at 60-100. That's not super low at all. I can't remember going over 100 carbs in the past 9 months, to be honest. I usually stick to less than 30 per day.

Good luck! You will love how you feel and how you look. One important thing though: Stop. Caring. About. Fat. You will have to increase your fat intake for it to work. Natural sources, INCLUDING animals (yep-- even butter), are best (along with the usual olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc.)
  • I did a low carb diet years ago and ate eggs and bacon or sausage some mornings but most morning I ate low carb bars. Bought them in the diet section at the grocery store. Kind of like a candy bar but they hardly had any carbs. ITs been several years so i have forgotten the name but you might check out that section at the grocery.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Eat whatever you feel like for breakfast. It doesn't have to be breakfast food. I had roast pork loin and roma tomatoes for breakfast this morning.

I keep my carbs around 50 grams a day. That's what my dietitian gave me -- she works with diabetics also.

I have had a hamburger or grilled chicken on a salad for breakfast before. It's all about what I'm wanting when I get up in the morning.

I don't snack, but almonds, string cheese, rolled up slices of turkey or ham or roast beef, an apple with almond butter are options.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Bump.
  • okay.. gonna start trying to go super low carb (I wanna stay around 60-100 carbs a day) and eat between 1200-1500 calories a day.. for lunch i'm thinking sandwiches with raw veggies (I know bread is carby BUT just 35 calorie bread which usually has lower carbs) but run some ideas by me for breakfast and dinners and snacks. I'll eat eggs, but i'm not a HUGE fan..

(DO NOT REPLY IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING UGLY TO SAY! I know I need carbs, and I will eat some.. but my body DOES NOT PROCESS CARBS LIKE IT SHOULD)

There are much lower-carb breads out there, usually in the health food stores (in the frozen foods section). Julian Bakery comes to mind; I use one called Sami's Bakery, which has a bread that's 2 net carbs/slice. They also have low-carb bagels and dinner rolls, I've learned recently. Julian's ranges between 1 to 3 net carbs (i.e. total carbs - fiber) per slice and unless you're a bread connoisseur, you won't notice the substitution with either brand. The flipside with either Julian's or Sami's is that they're both more than 35 calories per slice.
  • Learning that I do not "process carbs as I should" has been very empowering for me. I manage myself to 1200 calories and 100 or less carbs a day and, since learning this, have been losing 1-2 pounds a week for months. Same level of calories and normal carb levels, I consistently gain weight.

On non-egg days, one of my carb-treats is oatmeal in the morning (about 40 grams carbs) do not add sugar.

Dinners I eat a lot of non-starchy veggies, steamed brocolli is a favorite and big green leafy salads. Lean meat - baked chicken,(the grocery broasted chicken works for easy) or fish. For really quick and easy, I use commercially prepared Turkey meatballs heated up in a little marinara sauce. I am not particularly creative in the kitchen - and value these healthy easy options.