Expiration dates

Options
This might be a stupid question....but are expiration dates for once something is opened, or as long as it has not been opened?

Yesterday I bought a jar of garlic spread (like what they serve at Arabic restaurants). It was not refridgeratred, and said to refridgerate after opening. For the expiration date all it said was good until October 2012.

That seems like a really long time for something once it's been opened....but they didn't specify so I am not sure.

I'll see if they have a website when I get home, but right now I cannot remember the brand name.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    usually unopened. a lot of the stuff will say use within xx of date opened, but some products last that long open or closed, depends on what it is. Soy milk and almond milk expiry dates can be a month or so down the road, but the label says use within 7 days after opening.

Look at a condom package, they are usually good for a couple of years, but I don't think one would last very long once the package is open.
  • melbaby925
    Options
    As long as it's not opened that's the expiration date.

Once something is open, you usually get 7-10 days out of it before it goes weird because of oxidation. That being said - I exclude ketchup and mustard type condiments from that list. You can get months out of them without worrying.

If you are worried about something, even if it's refrigerated, then smell it and/or taste a little bit of it before consumption to be safe!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Mayo can last a long time, too...so long as you don't add anything to it! If you use a clean spoon each time, you are fine. But, if you mix your tuna with the spoon and go in for more mayo, the mayo will go rancid quite fast.

Take a look at this: http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/storagetimes.html