thoughts on the 30 minute circuit workout at planet fitness

Options
I currently belong to Beyond the Belt and take a bootcamp class. This is getting to expensive for me (I am getting my hours cut for the winter) and need an alternative.

I am a gym dummy when it comes to the free weights so I was hoping the 30 minute workout @ Planet Fitness will be a good start for a beginner in exercise??

I have appx 7 pounds to my 1st goal......but my overall goal is to actually gain some muscle and not worry so much about the scale, but go by how my clothes fit and go down to at least a size 8.

I currently weigh 154 and am 5'8"....size 10 (a bit tight still :mad: )

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I just joined and took my wife along for my first workout. She is a member at Curves and has been very successful with their program. The 30 Minute circuit at PF is a very obvious direct approximation of the Curves routine. They have machines that hit all muscle groups and the cardio (stepping) between each machine is a good way to keep your heart rate going while letting your muscles recover a bit.

My wife did the 30 minute circuit and was relatively happy with it. The only complaints she had weren't really a problem with the circuit or the machines but just simply the differences between those machines and what she's used to with curves (like having to pick a weight instead of the goofy hydraulic resistance). Ultimately, I think the machines at PF are a better workout because they allow for both positive (lifting) resistance and negative (returning the weights) resistance where the Curves program does not.

Overall, I think the 30 minute circuit is a good program to get someone started. It gives you a good mix of cardio and strength training that hits all major muscle groups. My guess is the first couple times may be a little awkward until you learn what weight you need each machine set at. Just remember to focus on doing the reps slowly with good form and enough weight that you're feeling a burn before the 1:30 hits and it's time to move to the next station.

Ultimately, you're probably not going to gain a whole lot of muscle mass doing this circuit, but it will set you up nicely to advance on to using more of the machines they offer at PF and possibly eventually move on to free weights where the real building can begin.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    thanks for your reply.......I was thinking the same thing. Use this as a stepping stone and hopefully within 3-6 months be using the free weights. Just need to get over my fear :smile:

thanks again
  • doniarae
    Options
    I currently go to planet fitness and I absolutely love it! The 30 min circuit is a perfect started for weights! Its what I do!
  • spunkyjen7
    spunkyjen7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just joined Planet Fitness last night....I did the 30min. circuit workout and loved it!