How to stop the cravings

Options
I'm not new to my fitness pal but I find it very helpful. The hard part is avoiding the cravings. I usually get snacky around 2pm, in the middle of lunch and dinner. I try to snack on good things but I find it very hard and it always seems like I'm still hungry no matter what I eat. I also tried eating lunch a little bit later but it doesn't work. I've started planning my day and tracking my food before I eat so I that I know what I am eating, but I still get those urges to buy that extra little snack that I didn't bring - usually unhealthy! Any advice on how to stop these afternoon cravings?

Replies

• peterson_jessica
    peterson_jessica Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way. I only have two things that sometimes work for me: drink all of my water in the afternoon and stay extremely busy. No matter what I eat in the afternoon I'm still hungry for another snack.
  • tosborne46
    Options
    I am new to this but have encountered the same thing. I allow myself some apple slices or carrots and I also increased my water intake from noon on, that made a big difference
    Stay with it :smile:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Planned snack- Eat something with protein which will fill you up and hopefully take you through till dinner.
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I usually get hungry about 2 or 3 p.m. I bought some red hot atomic fireball candies and when that urge to eat happens. I pop one of those in my mouth. The cinnamon from the candy calms my stomach and makes me think I had something. Come of think about it, I ran out of them and need to add them to my grocery list.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Eat every couple of hours. Make sure you are getting fat, protein, and carbs with each meal/snack. Drink water and chew gum.. Depending on the exercise that you're doing you will be hungry.. I'm lifting weights and I am constantly hungry but more so in the afternoon.
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    Planned snack- Eat something with protein which will fill you up and hopefully take you through till dinner.

This! A laughing cow light cheese wedge and some Triscuit thins are a delicious snack for about 50 calories.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    what helps me is almonds...especially sweet flavored ones like butter toffee or cinnamon sugar. It's packed with protein and it makes me think I'm getting a treat, like candy...crunchy, sweet...yummy. 24 of either flavor almonds is 160 cals. I will divide my servings out and eat one to two servings for snacks during the day.
  • samanthaleethomas
    Options
    I used to do that and then when I started tracking the almonds I realized how much my numbers boosted so I stopped using them as a snack.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    eating a big breakfast (>500 calories) that is high in protein (>30g) keeps me full until lunch. I usually have an afternoon snack before I work out to give me more energy and fend off cravings!
  • lilidelafield
    lilidelafield Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am no different and in the past my problem has been to to snack on unhealthy goodies. It may be that your body needs smaller meals at more frequent intervals, Who says we have to eat our calories in 3 meals? We can have 15 meals a day if we want, provided we record everything and stick to our daily allowance. Why not try an `afternoonses' meal...not just a snack and factor it in? It works for my brother.
  • Jenninedinburgh
    Jenninedinburgh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started MFP 3 weeks ago and have this problem too. I am hungry all afternoon and evening! I chew gum, drink hot drinks (as tea helps sometimes) and generally try to focus on other things...

Good luck to you - and thanks for asking the question as I am interested in reading the answers.
  • cjcooper04
    cjcooper04 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have terrible cravings in the afternoon as well. One tip is that on the food journal you can customize your meals. I have breakfast, a mid morning snack, lunch, an afternoon snack, and dinner on my food journal. I don't always eat my morning snack but it helps me focus on each "meal" averaging around 250 calories. Hard boiled eggs are a favorite snack for me and I also enjoy celery with light cream cheese (I love Cheese!). Good luck! :smile:
  • samanthaleethomas
    Options
    I often try to drink tea to resist the cravings but I haven't found many teas that I don't want to put sugar in. Do you have any suggestions on good, hearty teas?
  • samanthaleethomas
    Options
    I like that idea a lot! I sit at work and in class for most of my day which is why my cravings start so having little frequent meals would help!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm not new to my fitness pal but I find it very helpful. The hard part is avoiding the cravings. I usually get snacky around 2pm, in the middle of lunch and dinner. I try to snack on good things but I find it very hard and it always seems like I'm still hungry no matter what I eat. I also tried eating lunch a little bit later but it doesn't work. I've started planning my day and tracking my food before I eat so I that I know what I am eating, but I still get those urges to buy that extra little snack that I didn't bring - usually unhealthy! Any advice on how to stop these afternoon cravings?

Have you tried having a snack before you get those urges? Like 15-30 minutes before you usually start getting the urge to snack have something planned and healthy. That helps me a lot.

I also have a rule that I have to drink a liter of water and wait 20 minutes, if I still want it then, I'll eat it.
  • samanthaleethomas
    Options
    Great tip, I'll definitely try it out. Thanks!
  • bryanswife17
    Options
    I am new to my fitness pal as well, and have the exact same problem. I get really hungary around 3p, but still have 2 hours at the office left.... I've noticed that this is the time when my office is very quiet as well. So I'm bored, and need a snack. I am going to start leaving a task that will take me an hour or so to complete in the late afternoon. I'm hoping if my mind is occupied I won't think about snacking. Good Luck!!!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I had this problem and it just got better over time. Your brain needs time to adjust, I guess.
  • lil_longhorn
    lil_longhorn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I often try to drink tea to resist the cravings but I haven't found many teas that I don't want to put sugar in. Do you have any suggestions on good, hearty teas?

Have you tried to use some honey to sweeten the tea instead of sugar. This is what I do. Normally I use about 1 tsp. It makes the tea sweet and is better for you than sugar.

For snacks. I always get hungry too. When I pack my lunch in the morning I try to plan for this and pack snacks to help me out. I use things like apple sauce, celery and hummuc, laughing cow and crackers and babybel cheese. I do find however that i have to pack mutiple kinds of snacks because I have the tendency to crave different things and if I dont eat what I'm craving then the snack doesn't help. By this I mean sometime I just really want carbs and other time I want something with more protien. Hope this helps.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I try to chew gum. It as a sweet taste and the chewing tricks my brain into thinking I'm eating. Or a jolly rancher.