45yr old single mom of teenagers and works full time

Options
Hi there! Like everyone else here I am looking for support for my weight loss journey. Just as my subject line reads, I am a busy woman and put many things before me. I have had a lot of stress in my life and trying to create a calmer life...with two teenage daughters drama and last minute is the norm, so that is a challange. I am generally a very healthy eater and I am very knowledgeable with nutrition. My diet downfall has been the vino. I love to cook, I'm Italian, and coping with stress has been a great combination to be a really dedicated consumer :) I've made a conscious decision to cut back and exercise more, plus track my calories to get my weight under control. Ideally I would like to lose 60 lbs...that is hard to even say no less do, but here it goes. Can anyone else relate? I could use a buddy :)

Replies

• shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I cannot relate to having teenage daughters, my little girl is only 8 but drama queen for sure. Poor thing is stuck in the middle with 4 brothers. But I can help you with your journey!! Add me as a friend if you would like and I will do my best to ecourage and support you. MFP is a great place, so happy you found us!
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    I have a boyfriend but totally understand the single mom part. I have three kids also - 18,8 and 2.5. Days are hectic and like you, I put everything ahead of me. Good luck! I know you'll do well and you've made a good start by joining here at MFP.
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    You're 45?!?!?! You look amazing!
  • HawaiianTx
    HawaiianTx Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site, Sunshinelover. You'll like the place comes in handy for venting and getting questions answered ;)
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I am a single mom of a 12yo boy, but have a wonderful boyfriend that supports me in all of my endeavors! Thanks God for him too!

I started on January 17th and as of today I have lost 67 pounds. If I can do it, I know you can do it too!

Feel free to add me...
  • sarapie
    Options
    Hi! I can't relate to your situation exactly (no children) but I have always been a generally healthy eater (vegetarian) and I'm very knowledgeable about nutrition as well. I struggled with making exercise a priority and now I'm focused on doing every day - even on the weekends and even if it's only 30 minutes. My weight loss goal is also 60 pounds and I dropped 9.2 pounds in the first 2 weeks because of the amazing tools on this website. Feel free to add me as a friend if you need any encouragement. :)
  • frannie_schneider
    Options
    I am 50 and I can remember what it was like to have a teenage girl. Yikes! Eventually they snap out of it. I too am looking for support. Both my adult kids moved back home and my quiet empty nest is full again but this time the birds are grown ups.
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! I do not have teenagers yet in my life...but I am pretty busy with 3 kids! You can do this! Good luck!:drinker:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    ITS NOT THE WINE!

Jus sayin'

I have a teenager and a 5 year old...Becoming healthier comes down to commitment, accountability, and getting rid or the excuses. You either CHOOSE to or to not. You either DO, or do not.

This is a great place for information, assistance, and motivation.

Good luck with your journey!
  • dawnkathleen2
    Options
    hi im starting this today and hope to see a difference. i have tried many things but fall off the wagon to say. im hoping to do well
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Can totally relate! I have 4; 15, 16, 21, 22. Two are girls.

Although I am married, my husband works insane hours and I own two businesses. Planning and yet also Flexibility keeps it all going smoothly (?). Oh, and a sense of humor

And btw, you do look great! Good luck!
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm a 47yo working mom of one teen and one at-home twenty-something, so I can completely relate to the drama. I'm coming up on my first anniversary with MFP--started January 1, 2011--and I'm amazed as I look back and see how far it is possible to come in a year.

For me the big challenge is bottled coffee. My rule for year one was that I didn't have to give anything up--as long as I could make it work with a calorie limit that let me lose weight. I did end up changing my eating habits a lot to get more mileage out of my calories, but I never made more than a token effort to break my Starbuck's habit.

I'm now trying to decide how to approach year 2. :-)
  • DK7tre
    Options
    This is way too hard to enter what you're eating to keep track of your calories. I'm so done and fustrated with this program!
  • Freshstart07
    Freshstart07 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Girls 24 21 14 12 yes I can relate. Those old tire cliches are true a new journey begins with one step. The best kept secret is there are no secrets and you need friends to steer with you in the right direction.
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too. I'm a single mom of 2 boys 8 & 5. I work full time and totally get busy and puting yourself last! Boy oh boy do I get that!!
  • sunshinelover22
    Options
    Thank you for the response and encouragement :)
  • sarapie
    Options
    This is way too hard to enter what you're eating to keep track of your calories. I'm so done and fustrated with this program!

I'm so sorry to hear that! It really is a lifestyle change and you have to make the commitment for a healthier lifestyle - whatever the cost! You should be a priority over everything else and I hope you'll reconsider and stand up for yourself. :)
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You're 45?!?!?! You look amazing!

^^^ what he said!