I NEED MORE FIBER

Options
Hey everyone. So, I had my first PT appointment today. According to my therapist, I should be trying for 23 grams of fiber daily. :noway: That is 8 more grams than MFP had me at.:ohwell: Typically, I am lucky to just get the 15 grams. :grumble: :sad:

How does everyone get in their fiber? Are there any other people reaching for a higher fiber amount than the MFP recommended?

Thanks in advance for your help MFPers!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Veggies, fruits, whole grains, beans. I rarely get under 30g per day. It can be done.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I set my goal to 25g/day. The only way I reach that is to eat at least 1/2 a serving of All-Bran Buds. I mix it into my Greek yoghurt =]
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    and whole wheat breads. even the wheat tortillas i use have 12g fiber.
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Try beans, almonds, and oatmeal. ( I dont use the instant usually because of the sodium)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You could always supplement with fiber pills or powder.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I get 30 grams a day. Lots of veggies and a psyllum husk supplement when I'm under 30 grams.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    fruits, veggies, oatmeal.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Mission Brand Carb Balance Whole Wheat Tortillas 80 cals and 10g of fiber per tortilla. I tuck some lunchmeat and cheese into a couple for lunch and I'm almost there with fiber for the day. And they taste pretty good too!
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    90 calorie Fiber One bars are pretty good. I like the peanut butter ones. :happy:
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I generally close to 40 g/day w/o All Bran- oatmeal for breakfast, salad with lentils for lunch. Lots of fruits and veggies.
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Shakeology, veggies, fruits, and beans. :)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    BEANS, apples, fruits and veg in general.

Try going the whole foods route before you resort to pills or Fiber One bars which can cause a lot of *ahem* discomfort.
  • alpepp
    alpepp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm already at 25 g for the day and it's not even dinner. Vegetables, fruit, hummus and almonds.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Yes what they said

but when I read your post all I could hear in my head was I NEED MORE COWBELL
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oh, and Lara bars. Cherry pie is my fave!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup All-Ban, my fav cereal in the world is 14g fiber and an apple is 5g. All the other veggies get me to 25-35 a day. The minimum is 25g, MFP has that wrong just like protein minimums.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils, sweet potatoes, squash, whole grains, fruit, etc.. Check out my diary if you need ideas.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle to get enough fiber each day too until I discovered two foods that get me over half my daily fiber easily - Kellogg's Fiber Plus chocolate chip bars (9 g fiber with 120 cals, and they taste really good)...and Thomas multigrain English Muffins - 100 cals, 8 g fiber. Throw in an apple, some grapes or veggies, and you're all set. :o)