Getting Out of a Binge Rut

Options
I have been stuck in a rut for a couple of weeks, every day I binge on so much chocolate. I don't even like chocolate that much. I think it has something to do with me being depressed, but the situation that is causing me depression can't be altered for another 2 months, so does anyone have any ideas of how to get me out of this?

Replies

• CarlyDrysdale
    Options
    I have been stuck in a rut for a couple of weeks, every day I binge on so much chocolate. I don't even like chocolate that much. I think it has something to do with me being depressed, but the situation that is causing me depression can't be altered for another 2 months, so does anyone have any ideas of how to get me out of this?
  • beantag
    Options
    Talk to a counsellor or psychiatrist. Thats what they are there for. I did it, and it worked.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to fix it really, but I have been struggling with the same type of thing, although not just chocolate. lol I'll do really well for like 3-4 days and then I just LOSE it, I go like a madwoman through the kitchen. It's embaressing to admit. These past two weeks are going well though. I think stepping back and taking a look at how it is effecting my weight loss has helped alot. I mean, what is the point in doing so well for 3-4 days just to eat a pile of food and srew it all up. I think this is why I have been hovering between 184-190 for the past 6 months or so. Anyways, I have no advice, so sorry for wasting your time, but I thought it might help a little to know you're not alone. I think all of use probably struggle to a certain degree not to grab a box of ho ho's and chow..ya know?

:flowerforyou: Keep up the fight, you can do this!
  • FoxyLoxy
    FoxyLoxy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For starters, if I buy myself some of that extra dark chocolate and keep it in the freezer I can usually keep the chocolate monster at bay because it is so rich it makes me feel sick if I eat too much and by keeping it frozen I suck on it rather that gobble it all down. Another thing is that I have been refusing to buy bad for me foods because I know that right now with the stress that I have I can not handle having it so readily available. One thing I do buy are the 90 calorie granola bars that have chocolate pieces in them. I never feel like eating a bunch of granola so I don't worry about eating the whole box but they do help me curb the chocolate cravings. I also chew gum like a champ.

For the reasons behind the binges, well I'm a person who "lives out of my body" (so I was just told the other day). My underlying causes are usually stress and the only way for me to come to terms without eating everything in the kitchen is to do a good butt-kicking workout even if that means I have to do it everyday and more than once. By butt kicking I mean the ones where I exercise myself to exhaustion but feel empowered like I could kick some butt if I had to LOL. I always resort back to Advanced Tae Bo workouts. They are an hour long and its kick boxing - what could be better? :laugh:
  • MattySparky
    Options
    I thnk it all comes down to self control. I realize that's easy to say when you're not depressed, but regardless that's what it comes down to. What does chocolate really do for anyone other than adding on lbs, which in the end will make you even more depressed. I'd say get this stash of chocolate out of your house quick!
  • CarlyDrysdale
    Options
    I live right beside a shopping centre, I mean it literally takes me less than a minute to get out of my room and into the shop. Chocolate is so cheap there. All I ever buy is fruit and veg and rice, ie good things, but then I'll be sitting in my room depressed and just walk over and grab some chocolate.
    Plus I live with 9 other people who often offer me 'bad things' and its so hard to refuse when it's a big fresh baked chocolate cake covered in cream. It's difficult!

Talking about this has helped in a way though, I think part of me feels calmer from just admitting this, so thanks a lot for listening and helping guys.